Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break-ins and robbing b@stards

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Hooray for Ru, for making me laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

Mr. Davis is based in south county dublin and distributes papers all over the place (and even in rush hour traffic), so it is legitamite, I assure you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

Apip99 wrote:
    Hooray for Ru, for making me laugh :D

I'm almost serious.

But if i am going to be serious i read on "Another Forum" that garden gnomes have been stealing everyone’s socks for centuries, they have caused millions of hours lost looking for the "odd" sock. This whole "it must be behind the washing machine" attitude is just our subconscious telling us to avoid the truth...............GARDEN GNOMES ARE EVIL.........but i can tell you one thing.......never get into a staring contest with one............the little gits are unbeatable....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bertie

Apip99 wrote:
    Yer, well as if I would bother writing a post as a wind, oh and call the guards!!!!! I mean come on.----"Didn't have to I am one"

Bertie Please think before you accuse.

blogi: Most burglars are opportunistic.: This is not true. If they are looking to steal you DVD player then yes they probable are. But if they are stealing you car which most are. Then they are pro's who do this for a living, on a steal to order base.

At the N-watch meeting with the guards, it was them that that brought up news papers, and flyers being used as a ploy to look thru windows and see how much noise they can get away with. So maybe our fault putting break-in on the same night with the papers, and coming up with 5, but better to be vigilant, than just to ignore these matter.

Or maybe we should all wait to get a guards reference number, proof and finger prints before posting on the boards that there 'maybe' something suspicious going on in our area!!!

Pip I did check and as others did.I also found out the deliveries were legit, so you should think and check before you post

FYI I also checked the station records and there were a lot of calls since you posted and a lot of terrified single women older and younger it only takes one to start a rumour and then it spreads like wildfire. The Super is not to pleased I can tell you the lads and ladies in greystones have enough to be doing than calming frightened residents over what ammounted to a rumour. The down side is that the more of this that happens the more it will be seen as the boy who cried wolf in Charlesland .

Being vigilant is one thing, but scaring the bejaysus out of citizens is another as RU demonstrated. Especially when this newspaper thing is unfounded. Being a garda Detective in South dublin I have heard and seen of the newspaper scam its an old modus operandi and in most new houses where it is used triggered alarms and drew attention to the perpetrators .I can't remember when I heard of its last use--now the perpetrators just go for unalarmed premises.

.People need to be vigilant in any new estate as they are prime targets new homes bring new high value new goods and everyone should install an alarm with a tamper detector and switch it on at night then no criminal will take the chance when there are easier targets.

Car theft from robbing keys in houses is very rare --they use trigger keys now which can over ride any system on any car so if they are after the car they will rarely come near the house --the recent case in Delgany was pure opportunism on behalf of the individual -he is well know in the area and saw the chance and took it but was caught by nightfall.

An interesting fact 93% of all burglaries happened last year on premises where the alarm was not activated not present or windows or doors left open 58% while the occupiers were actually on the premises.

For as little as €600 you could get a system that is sufficient and save yourself thousands worth of stress worry and trauma in the process.If every house and apt in charlesland was alarmed and put on at night the stats there would virtually be nil and over the years itd pay for itself on savings on house insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

If you think that because of me the Guards have been inundated with calls, and the Super in no to pleased with me, and because of me posting an issue we had thought to be suspicious in our area, and also that they think that my post has "scaring the bejaysus out of citizens". then I'm sorry, but I don't agree.

The point of my post was to 'advise' people what had happened in our estate. I was not setting out to cause mass panic.

And mods, we really need to have a rules to say you can't post with out proof. As it seams to cause to many issues. I think the below should be looked into

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054900780 I can no longer leave the house though fear because of this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054886701 Upon reading this post I see that 3 of the lads got away and are still at large. This fills me with terror, so much so that I have given away mine and wifes cars.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054897000 Can we please have this one confirmed with a referance number as without it, it could be seen as scare mongering.

Seriosly though, Sorry to all of those who were scared to sleep at night because of my post, and to all the guards for having to take calls from concerned residents. I have had the error of my ways pointed out, and I will 'think and check before I post'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The original post was made in good faith and in the best intentions, but it turned out to be a false alarm. Don't think there is any need to continue the debate...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement