Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use Eircom Router for BT BB?

• 04-04-2006 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi guys, I've just signed up with Esat BT for BB, and hope to use an Eircom supplied Netopia 3347NWG wireless router. Has anyone tried this and has it worked? Can I use netopia's firmware (on their website) instead of the eircom disk to avoid using the eircom settings? Thanks for your help in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The netopia router should work fine, the settings are the same. The only difference is the username/password. BT will supply you with this (or you'll supply them) and you just change that in the settings. Note, that you must use username@BTBB, where username is the one you pick. As for firmware, I don't know. The settings for Eircom and BT broadband will be the same anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

Hi Jor el, Thanks for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054897010&highlight=eircom+router+BT

^ Survey says.... Yes.

(If you encounter difficulties: Best to try flashing with the netopia firmware as well imho.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It'll work no problem. I'm using one on BT.
    As jor el said, all you need to change is the username/password.
    The existing firmware and install disk are not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

the username should be username@BTBB.ie for it to work properly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I don't think you need the .ie in the username. I don't and it works.

jor el wrote:
    I don't think you need the .ie in the username. I don't and it works.
    Correct. No ".ie". "@iolbb" works on some exchanges aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I am using the netopia aswell as my linksys slows things down for some reason.
    mines @iolbb aswell, I assume @BTbb will do the same, will it?

Suppose there is only one way to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

Thanks for your help guys. I took the plunge and ordered BT Option 1 (€20 pm 1mb 10gb cap) €40 set up, and believe it or not my BB was enabled in ten days and my BT modem arrived in 12 days.
    I set up the netopia wireless and it worked perfect using a Belkin wireless USB adapter on the dektop.
    So my Internet Phone set up is as follows:
    BT BB Option 1 - 20 pm
    Eircom Line rental - 25ish pm
    Euphony Phone Calls - 10 pm for all landline calls (no limit) however mobiles are extra

Skype for free pc-to-pc calls and €10 credit purchased for all UK & USA with video enabled through webcam

bravo wrote:
    Thanks for your help guys. I took the plunge and ordered BT Option 1 (€20 pm 1mb 10gb cap) €40 set up, and believe it or not my BB was enabled in ten days and my BT modem arrived in 12 days.
    I set up the netopia wireless and it worked perfect using a Belkin wireless USB adapter on the dektop.
    So my Internet Phone set up is as follows:
    BT BB Option 1 - 20 pm
    Eircom Line rental - 25ish pm
    Euphony Phone Calls - 10 pm for all landline calls (no limit) however mobiles are extra

Skype for free pc-to-pc calls and €10 credit purchased for all UK & USA with video enabled through webcam
    Why don't you transfer your line rental to BT aswell? It will shave off another €10p/m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

If you're now a BT Broadband customer, BT will swap the standard modem they supply for a wirelss modem for free, maybe it's been mentioned here before, but a guy phoned yesterday to offer the swap and I took it. No more €40 extra either and freepost the other modem back to them.

Advertisement