Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long thread, few simple questions re BT broadband DSL with Monitored Alarm

Options
  • 04-04-2006 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Note: I have read the thread on dsl self install if you have an alarm (Thanks, very helpful) (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=183353)

Ok, So after weighing up my options I decided to go with BT Broadband (Mainly because it is much cheaper than eircom). Anyway all went well with the order and I received my Wireless router (ZyXEL Prestige 660H\HW series)
    within a month. I had visisted this site before ordering and I was aware that the monitored house alarm that I have installed (Not Eircom Phonewatch) could cause problems with the DSL signal when doing the install. Anyway I tried just using the supplied dsl splitter at the only phone point in the house and attached the phone and wireless router. I was able to get online straight away with my laptop but the connection does not seem to be great.

I've tried speedtest.ie and on average it reports a download speed of 650kbps and upload speed of 120kbps. The Quality of Service % varies a lot between 5% and 85%. When browsing sometimes a loading page seems to freeze and will not complete loading until I click on refresh. Also, more importantly, I play a good bit of online poker. This was working fine with a dial-up connection (but with a big phone bill) but with the broadband it loses connection practically every minute making it impossible to use for playing poker.

I have a few questions re the above.

1) Is it likely that the DSL signal is being affected by running through the monitored alarm system? (ie. Is this likely to be why I lose connection regularly and loading of pages freezes?)

2) I have taken a look at the phone wiring in the house and it seems to be set up as follows: Phone line from telephone pole to side of house. White round, newish looking, phone cable enters the attic (No sign of juction box on side of house or in attic so not sure where it is). Phone line runs accross
    attic and appears to disappear down to the garage where the alarm monitoring system is installed. A phone cable comes up from the garage and is routed down a different route to the hall on the ground floor where the only phone point is. If I want to isolate the dsl signal before entering the alarm monitoring system I guess I should split it where it enters the attic and run a seperate phone cable downstairs someplace where I will attach it to the wireless router. If I want to do this I presume that I can use the splitter that came with the wirless router? (The following is a link to the splitter provided: http://svr2.hometech.com/pdf/ex-z330p2j.pdf). So, just cut the phone cable in the attic and attach a phone jack to the end carrying the signal from outside and a normal line cord to the other end.
    Plug the splitter into the new phone jack and the new line cord to the phone output from the splitter and get a new phone cable and connect to the dsl output part of the splitter and route it downstairs for the wireless router.
    Is this correct?

3) Would there be any advantage in using a better cable (ex. Cat 5) than normal phone cable for the dsl signal or does it matter as by the time I split the signal it is being carried on normal phone cable?

I appreciate that I do this entirely at my own risk.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

First off, determine the speed that the line is synching at and ideally the SNR and attenuation. You'll get this from the router. Once you have a baseline, I would disconnect the alarm and restart the ADSL router. If it's syncing at a higher speed and you're getting better reliability, then the alarm is the issue. If not, your line is not good and that's pretty much that. If the alarm is the issue, then you need to install a filter before it. Not sure how to do that.

SNR values should be as high as possible (usually in the 8-25 range), attenuation as low as possible (usually in the 20-60 range).

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

If I were you, I wouldn't go the self-install route. It will essentially make having your Phonewatch system worthless because if the house gets burgled, you've tampered with the alarm system, and the insurance company will wash their hands of you.

Better to pay the eighty quid to have a Phonewatch engineer do it and have peace of mind.

Aside from that, if you're not actually losing DSL signal (on the modem light), then it's quite possibly an issue with the wireless card on your laptop (specifically the Intel Pro). Try using a direct ethernet connection between the router and laptop to see if it improves things.
    If it does, you'll need to update the wireless driver on your laptop, and update to SP2 (if XP) if you haven't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Personally, I have BT BB and a non €ircon Phonewatch monitored alarm working in perfect harmony.

No decrease in speed or interruptions after getting the alarm in. I asked the Alarm crowd before I proceeded with them if their alarm would interfere and they said it wouldn't and that €ircon do say things like "incompatable" etc but it was not the case with their alarm anyway.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

Many thanks for the replies.
    Ok, I'm thick. I've been working with computers for the last 7 years and it never occurred to me to try a direct ethernet connection between the router and laptop. I presumed because my laptop was reporting a excellent or very good connection to the router (>5 Kbps) that it was not a problem with the wireless part. It should have been the first thing I checked.

On trying the direct connection I found that I was not losing my connection to the poker sites. On comparing the results from www.speedtest.ie I found that I had a slightly higher average download speed (approx 850 kbps) but more importantly the quality of service seemed to be much higher and and the max pause was also much smaller. This was compared to running with the wireless connection sitting with laptop within 3 feet of the router.

As suggested I will update the wireless driver on my laptop and check that I have SP2 (think it has) and do another test. If there is no improvement I will also try to find out the speed that the line is synching at and the SNR and attenuation though I am not sure where I will find these values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

You should also try changing the channel number on the wireless router as it sounds like you're getting interference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭The Security ma

****A SPLITTER/FILTER IS *NOT* REQUIRED ON A BROADBAND LINE, IF YOU HAVE A MONITORED ALARM*****
    The broadband will make NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER to your alarm.
    You need a filter for VOICE communication only.
    Your alarm sends DIGITAL.
    You do not need a filter.
    In how many posts does this have to be said.
    Sorry if I offend anyone.
    You do NOT need a filter.
    Try broadband and see if you don't believe.
    You do not need a filter.
    You do not need a splitter.
    You do not need to pay PHONEWATCH or anyone else to do anything with your alarm.
    YOU DO NOT NEED A FILTER.
    Please cut and paste everywhere.
    Sorry for ranting & raving but there are so many posts with the same question...
    You do not need a filter....

Advertisement