Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are SSangyong's really that bad...

Options
  • 04-04-2006 1:52pm

...have another thread about buying a vehicle for about 20k. Can get a pretty neat looking Ssangyong for that much and get it as new as 2004. On the other thread though a few have said to stay away. I like the look of the Rexton - no matter what anyone else say. Has anyone got one and are they as bad as I'm led to believe? Anyone got a good word?

Comments

My personal feeling is somethng that cheap is going to have hidden costs.

Parts and servicing spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

ronoc wrote:
    My personal feeling is somethng that cheap is going to have hidden costs.

Parts and servicing spring to mind.

I think the Diesel engine in those is made by mercedes, i like the look of them. I would touch a Kia sorento, but its getting grate reviews and for reliability as well...so maybe the sangyong isnt so bad..did daewoo make the rexton for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The Parkers reviews tend to be quite accurate:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/carreviews/review.aspx?model_id=830

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I've driven both the auto and manual Rextons, and if I were you, I'd go for the auto. The manuals are crap (rough gear shifts). Both diesel (and even the 3.2L V6 petrol) engines are from Mercedes, aswell as the gearboxes. Best to go for the 2.7L engine, it's far more refined than the 2.9L.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you're not gonna get a lot of other 04 machines for €20k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭fits

Max_Damage wrote:
    I've driven both the auto and manual Rextons, and if I were you, I'd go for the auto. The manuals are crap (rough gear shifts). Both diesel (and even the 3.2L V6 petrol) engines are from Mercedes, aswell as the gearboxes. Best to go for the 2.7L engine, it's far more refined than the 2.9L.

Would the 2.7 L manual be ok for towing heavy loads do you know? I'd be untrusting of an auto. I'm going to have to get my own towing vehicle in the near future, and like the look of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

fits wrote:
    Would the 2.7 L manual be ok for towing heavy loads do you know? I'd be untrusting of an auto. I'm going to have to get my own towing vehicle in the near future, and like the look of this.

As far as I remember, the 2.7 AUTO has a tiptronic setup, so you can use it just like a manual. As for towing, I think the auto (and manual) would be fine, the big diesel engine has alot of torque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

Conor74 wrote: »
    ...have another thread about buying a vehicle for about 20k. Can get a pretty neat looking Ssangyong for that much and get it as new as 2004. On the other thread though a few have said to stay away. I like the look of the Rexton - no matter what anyone else say. Has anyone got one and are they as bad as I'm led to believe? Anyone got a good word?

Did you get a Rexton in the end or what did you go for?

In the same postition myself now as you were!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

boarsie08

stop diggin up every old thread that has Ssangyong in it ...especially not ones that are 2 years old

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement