Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IoffL are over-reacting

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Thats hardly Universal BK is it ?

Oh, I agree, I know that isn't what Eircom want, but that is why we must ensure that they don't get it on their terms.

Non of the things I listed are unrealistic, they have all been done up in the North by BT for less.

I believe that IOFFL needs to ensure that if any money given to Eircom, it must be on the bases of a water tight USO, nothing else is good enough. I wouldn't even mind giving Eircom an extra €20 million if they agreed to meet these rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Sponge Bob wrote:
    99.1%

Don't forget the .06%!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't care what conditions are attached, Eircom simply can't be trusted to follow through on them. If they get halfway there and it's working out too expensive, or just plain too much trouble, they'll try and wangle their way out of it with the lawyers, lies, and McRedmond. And when the opposition is this government and that Comreg, you might as well throw the towel in now.

Eircom shouldn't get a penny of taxpayer money. They've already been given billions upon billions too many of them.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

cgarvey wrote:
    There are reasonable limits, sure, but Paul just did a slam dunk with your point. .

He didn't actually.
    oscarbravo wrote:
    Personally, I'd rather pay less tax, and let the people who want to live in cities whistle for their trams and metros
    There is a net transfer from Dublin to the other regions. tThe people in Dublin could pay less tax and let the regions whistle-not that I'd agree with it, but that is way it is.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

jd wrote:
    There is a net transfer from Dublin to the other regions.
    There's a net transfer from some parts of Dublin to others. There's a net transfer from some rural areas to others. There's a net transfer from some EU countries to others.

Dublin can't function without the regions. The regions can't function without Dublin. Nowhere can function without broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just out of interest i have just got broadband after three years of waiting and being told my line isnt suitable now with the amber program my line is allowed to have broadband installed and guess what its working at full speed and the noise level is well below the 60 db with (i believe) no changes to the line. to me that proves what i have suspected all along that eircom have been trying to maintain what dial up revenue they could for as long as possible. its only with the relentless pressure by groups like ioffl every time eircom came on any program with their no demand BS that anything has changed. i have also been harrassing my local tds with complaints on about a 6 monthly basis and every time the question has been asked of eircom why? . the answer was always this a new technology and not all lines are suitable so why is my line suitable now ?
    i dont actually blame eircom for trying to maintain their profit levels because i actually see it many irish companies who refuse to innovate.
    (how about irish ferries complaining about the lack of passengers why aren't the fares the same as a flight and a hire car booking to the uk why aren't their ferries floating shopping malls)

anyway i've got to be grateful now for actually getting broadband

i've said it in another thread and i'll say it again thanks to ioffl for their campaigning and now all i need is 24mbit for the same price :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

to me that proves what i have suspected all along that eircom have been trying to maintain what dial up revenue they could for as long as possible.
    I am glad for you. And you are spot on with your assumption.
    Eircom are not only holding on to their normal dial-up "cows", they are also holding on to their even more valuable cash cows having bills of several hundreds for still being kept on the redundant "net subscription" services, which are still advertised when you go through the broadband check and follow after getting a "fail".

Interesting to see that "we" are not at all alone with our talking of the worth(lessness) of ComReg. Citigroup are saying it, again, as quoted in Siliconrepublic article: (can anyone provide access to the full citigroup document?)
    Citigroup highlights the fact that in the past 12 months Eircom has been increasing its grip on the Irish telecoms market. “The Irish regulator (ComReg) remains essentially toothless. As a consequence, key elements of the regulatory framework necessary to facilitate competition remain absent.

“In the meantime, Eircom has maintained its grip on the small and medium-sized enterprise (SME) and consumer markets (in broadband Eircom continues to win four out of five DSL additions) while redoubling its efforts in the large corporate market with some notable success.

“If anything, Eircom has enhanced its position in the Irish market over the past 12 months, albeit at the cost of some margin pressure as sales and marketing costs rise. The addition of Meteor has added another pillar to the story and early signs about the scope to take [market] share are encouraging.”

In another passage of the 30-page report, Citigroup says: “Eircom has become a textbook example of how to play the regulatory game and win.”
    We've shown that fact two years ago:
    toothless_2.jpg
    P.

Advertisement