Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Certifications or go my Masters?

Options
  • 04-04-2006 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi
    Does anyone in here have any Sun certifications in here?
    Do you think they are worth the effort? I did the Sun Certified Java Programmer exam when I left college just to show potential employers that I can do a bit of programming.
    I'm in a good job now but I am thinking of going back to do my Masters in DCU(graduated from there in 2002). Only problem is I'm getting married in the Summer and I don't think the financial situation would allow giving up work for 10 months.
    I'm thinking about getting the rest of my Sun Certs instead as I really enjoy java programming. The 3 exams I would do are on the Sun page below. If I put in the work I would have them done in the same time as my Masters at a cost of about E800 including books, allowinh me to stay in work at the same time.

http://www.sun.com/training/certification/java/java_web.html
    Sun Certified Web Component Developer
    Sun Certified Business Component Developer
    Sun Certified Developer for Java Web Services

Do Irish companies take certifications into consideration when hiring and giving pay rises?
    Do they take whether or not you have an MSC into consideration when hiring and giving pay rises?
    Any answers or experiences much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

Once you have say 2-3 years of programming experience, the java certifications are of little use. Work experience, and knowledge of particular domains eg. telecoms, financial etc... carries much more weight at an interview. I've interviewed a lot of people in my time. My impression of the java certification is that someone is trying to prove they know java, but real life project experience is much more important.

I've an honours degree and 10 years + experience, but wouldn't worry about extra qualifications. Some of the business analysts and product managers here done Masters at night time, and were partially funded by the company.
    If you just want to program.... I don't see the need.

If you want to extend your career opportunities in development, there's two paths. Team lead / management, requires good project management skills, developing repeatable processes in a department, etc....
    The other path, technical architect, requires a broad range of skills, design patterns, layered architectures, software development processes, latest technologies, good presentation skills etc...

regards,
    Owen

Advertisement