Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

arosa gear box

Options
  • 04-04-2006 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

my mam recently bought a car, 1998 seat arosa with 26k mls ince car but i think the gearbox/cluch might be going in it, it wont start from stop in 3rd gear it shudders and konks out, when driving along and you take the car out of gear and put it back into the gear it was in you can feel the gearstick pushing up towards the R-1-3-5 gears about 1/2 an inch, are these normal things for a healthy gearbox?

Many thanks for any help.

-VB-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Volvoboy wrote:
    , it wont start from stop in 3rd gear it shudders and konks out

-VB-
    It's not supposed to pull off in 3rd gear - it should shudder and konk out! But this means that your clutch should be OK. The other problem may mean that the selector mechanism may need adjusting - AFAIK the selector uses cables - I know a VW Polo does and the Arosa engine/gearbox is quite similar. Perhaps somebody can clarify this.............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

For starters, explain to your mam that 1st gear is for starting off in.
    Secondly, the symptoms you describe sound like they could be down to worn/broken engine mounts. Pop and give the engine a good old rock, left to right and back and forward (don't grab anything made of plastic!) and see if there seems to be excessive movement. If you're not comfy with figuring it out then I'd sooner bring it to a main dealer for diagnosis than a back lane mechanic that might invent a few hundred € worth of work, then replace €40 worth of mounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

engine mounts? replaced a few in work would'nt of thought that would of been on of the problems,

well when i've been driving the car i accidently put it in 3rd insted of 1st as the gears are so close together, ive read on boards that a healthy gearbox should start off in 3rd so thats where thant came from, thanks for advice i'll check the mounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

Volvoboy wrote:
    ive read on boards that a healthy gearbox should start off in 3rd so thats where thant came from, thanks for advice i'll check the mounts.
    I dont think there is anything wrong with your car. Use first gear to start off, that is what they put in there for. Most cars will stall in anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

You can't really start a car like that off in third gear. The engine in it is tiny and is bound to struggle! You might get away with that in bigger engines. Try moving off in first instead ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

pontovic wrote:
    You can't really start a car like that off in third gear. The engine in it is tiny and is bound to struggle! You might get away with that in bigger engines. Try moving off in first instead ?

The worst I find actually are modern common rail diesels! It is far easier to stall an Avensis D4D than a starlet, while I still stall my Focus TDCi occasionally (in first!). Apparently the ECU is designed to kill the engine if the revs fall below 800 rpm to protect the flywheel from resonance.

Advertisement