Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Hols - Interrailing

Options
  • 04-04-2006 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

hi,
    myself and a few of my friends are thinking about interrailing this summer after the leaving cert.

we are not sure which zone to pick. can anyone recommend a zone and the best places to see and stay? how much money would you need a day? which is best: sleeping on train/hostel/camping? where should we avoid, etc?

have many people in ucd gone interrailing?
    thanks v. much:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

didnt I reply to this yesterday? Or have I travelled back in time. What Day is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

it still yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭joxer05

sorry, the thread was removed yesterday, so i wasn't able to see any replies

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

then it might get removed again so beware!

800 euro for a 2 month all zone railpass. Thats all you need. Then about 1500-2000 euro ad go nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

I dunno why it's in the UCD section, but: Grimes' does sound like an excellent plan, if you have that kind of money.

Otherwise, (if you're sticking to one zone) I can heartily recommend Interrailling down the Rhine. Definate places to stop are Koln (Cologne), Koblenz and maybe Mainz. When you're north on the Rhine, sample the local beers, further south they go in less for beer and more for wine. Do not under any circumstances be tempted by St Goar's - it is the German equivalent of the Irish Die-dilly-eye tourist trap with lephrachauns and music that no self-respecting trad-music lover would go in for.

Anyway, yeah, railling along the rhine can be cool. I did it for about 2 weeks of my trip. I mainly did Koln, Bonn (not so great, fairly dead town), Koblenz (absolutely LOVED there, but that's a personal thing i.e. for no good reason), Boppard (Ok), St Goar's (see above), Mainz (Tourist info centre is difficult to find, is far from the Hbf (main train station) and not all that helpful, but it's certainly worth visiting), then back up to Koblenz, then back to Koln. Then I went to amsterdam. :rolleyes:

But Germany was great, and I certainly want to go back. By the way, it's worth noting that the only German I knew at the time were from Rammstein lyrics (choice phrases like "Play with me", "Humiliate me" and "You have"), Southpark the Movie (I'm not even going to go there) and my Leaving Cert Music ("I am a child of my sins": one to work into ANY conversation), and I still got on fine.

Enjoy,
    Aoife

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I dunno why it's in the UCD section,
    Maybe they know many people here will have done it?

If you end up in Brussels stay in the Sleepwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

why dont u try the travel forum, its not really relevant here thatts prob why it was removed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Definate places to stop are Koln (Cologne),

I was in Koln over the summer it's a fantastic place. *hearts germany*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

we (7 lads!) went interrailing after the LC aroung holland, german, France. great crack it was

go to utrecht and stay in strowis youth hostel
    http://www.strowis.nl/ thats all you need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

He's posted it in the travel forum already. posted it on TCD and i deleted it. posted it here twice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Joxer...Go to Stuttgart.

And it's a World Cup year!

Advertisement