Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

6680 memory

• 04-04-2006 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

of late i've noticed that my phone is becoming increasingly slower. is there any specific tweaks i can do to speed it up?

i currently have a 64mb memory card and both that and the phone memory arn't far off full. i know this is probably a major factor in its slowness but will it improve vastly if i upgrade the memmory card? if so, what size card would somebody recomend.

i also know it gets slower when numerous applications are open so i try not to do this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the 6680 is just generally a slow phone. not having any applications open would help though. you know about being able to close the applications by holding down the menu button right?

i doubt a new memory card would speed it up. the speed of the phone is effected by the processor and ram. storage doesn't really effect it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

Do you have loads of MMS & texts in your inbox and/or sent messages folders?

just a thought.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Jam Man wrote:
    Do you have loads of MMS & texts in your inbox and/or sent messages folders?

just a thought.....

I've certainly not noticed my Nokia 6680 getting any slower and I had 650-700 txt messages in my inbox a few weeks back...no noticable difference (messages were saved to mem card)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's nothing to do with your storage. A larger MMC card will actually make it slower as the mmc size increases. I've never noticed speed issues with the 6680 or any Symbian phone, unless the user was unwittingly using several applications at once in the background....Symbian phones (especially the newer models) have plenty of ram and don't tend to experience slowdown unless you have a large string of apps open or something very resource hungry like an ngage/symbian game running simultanously.

It's amazing the amount of people who know nothing about mobiles at all and despite having Symbian phones for months STILL use the "End Call/Red Button" key to exit applications, camera functions, etc! :rolleyes: :D

edit: I'm not saying you know nothing about mobiles - just saying from people I know, to clear up any implications :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

HavoK wrote:

It's amazing the amount of people who know nothing about mobiles at all and despite having Symbian phones for months STILL use the "End Call/Red Button" key to exit applications, camera functions, etc! :rolleyes: :D

Yeah I've had my 6680 9 months and I still do that. I just periodically close them down by holding down menu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

yeah i still use the hang up button but when i get out to the main screen then i close them all by holding down the menu button.

i had 600 messages last week and it was slower but since i deleted them it hasnt improved drastically.

i never use any of the office applications. would it be an idea to delete the applications? or a bad idea?

although it can get annoying, the slowness doesnt take away from the phone being, imo, a brilliant phone.

T&#225 wrote: »

i never use any of the office applications. would it be an idea to delete the applications? or a bad idea?

You can delete them if you want, but it'll make no difference to the speed of the phone...just free up a MB of space or two. :)

But deleting them will not affect the operation of the phone other then not being able to open doc/xml files etc, if that's what you mean...

Pythia wrote:
    Yeah I've had my 6680 9 months and I still do that. I just periodically close them down by holding down menu.

me too. its just quicker than pressing the back button loads of times
    HavoK wrote:
    doc/xml files

i think you mean xls :p

me too. its just quicker than pressing the back button loads of times

yeah, jesus, sometimes ya think "when is this goin to end!!!"

Argh, lads! Pressing the hang up button is the ultimate Symbian no-no...:D

• Advertisement

rebels with a cause we are we are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I have the same slowness problem with mine and would have thought it was down to the memory card being almost full (I always fully close applications and if I take out the memory card everything speeds up).

HavoK wrote:
    Argh, lads! Pressing the hang up button is the ultimate Symbian no-no...:D

end call->hold menu->c->ok

is much quicker than
    back->back->back->back->back->back->back->back->back

especially if you let a few build up before closing them. and quite often i go back and use them a bit later so its handy to leave them open. in fact thats the whole idea behind cache memory. frequently used stuff is held in the cache so it can open faster

Advertisement