Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bust sump bolt in bmw......

Options
  • 04-04-2006 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

hi folks

i noticed my bmw leaking oil recently, and the leak is coming from the oil sump, only a very small one. but still. i changed the oil in january and i think i bust threads in the il sump nut.
    is this serious, my brother is a mechanic. should have left him change the oil. duh

he said the sump itself is gone and not the bolt?

1993 316i

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

legs11 wrote:
    hi folks

i noticed my bmw leaking oil recently, and the leak is coming from the oil sump, only a very small one. but still. i changed the oil in january and i think i bust threads in the il sump nut.
    is this serious, my brother is a mechanic. should have left him change the oil. duh

he said the sump itself is gone and not the bolt?

1993 316i
    Did you replace the sump washer when you changed the oil?

I always put a few rounds of PTFE tape on my sump screws any time I change my oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

yes, im sure i changed the washer. i will put some tape on when im doing the oil again, or when my bro does it i mean....! plumbers tape you mean?

car is mint apart from that little mishap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

The very worst is you will have to get a guy to cut the thread out of the sump and weld in a new one. An hours work... €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Even in a very worst case scenario of needing a new sump it isn't a big deal given that 2nd hand/spurious parts will be available and your brother is a mechanic and changing a sump is usually straightforward.

You sure you used the right type of washer when changing the oil. There are a few different ones available and I dont know what would happen if you used the wrong type (maybe damage or a drip?) I know my car needs a steel one with a rubber insert not a copper one as the guy in halfords told me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

They have Aluminium sumps?. Y/N? and a steel plug, so if overtightened or cross threaded, the sump threads yield.... and leak.
    You can get HeliCoil thread inserts to repair striped threads, Unfortunately, if not tapped absolutely perpendicular to the sealing flange face, will not seal properly and leak.
    Cutting and rewelding a stub or obtaining a used (and hopefully not stripped) sump is your only option.

Use the correct seal and tape etc is not required.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement