Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to window! or not to window!

Options
  • 04-04-2006 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

me and a friends of mine have basically the sameish self built pcs his is a standard beige box while mine had a window on the side, just wondering what ppl opions of side window panels are ?

i think it really breaths new life into a pc, i like lookin at bells and whilstles insidey the pc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Its down to personal opinion I guess.

I like a nice side window so long as all the cabling is tidy and not hanging down like a rats nest.

Two reasons for me: I'm a bit of a computer tart and NEED to show off my 'innards', and so I can easily see when my watercooling is leaking :D

Lets see a pic of your system! (hope you got cable ties handy)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yeah, i mean its asthethics primarily but i'd never go so far as to make it less functional, as long as the window doesn't interfer with how easily i can get the side on and off or is flimsy. Plus, for the same reason as hopeful, I only do it because when you put effort into hardware efficiency you post benchmarks, when you put effort into cooling and airflow (i.e. watercooling, fans, neat cables) you want to show that off. Plus as a technophile I like to look at the guts of hardware rather then a nice veneer in the form of an aluminium case. Heres a picture of my side window, I did the etch using a dremel and some cheap etching bits. The cabling in it isn't as neat as it is now, as I had a NorthQ PSU which has a ridiculous amount of cables with lengths meant for Stackers, but i've since replaced it with a modular Enermax which allows for power cables to be removed and added as needed.
    4993347a478784989b138165113l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

personally im not into how a pc looks,only how it preforms....
    but as was said its all up to personal taste, i just dont have the time/patience to make a pc look fancy :D . But a nicely modded pc does look well, just not multi-coloured stuff ugh

personally i love white cold cathodes in pcs and some uv stuff, not over the top though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

yeah i hate multicoloured cables, molex connectors, UV reactive yellow, green, orange, red, blue... Everything in my case is black, from the mobo, to the HDDs and Disk Drive and PSU to all the cables, the lighting is all blue and the only reason the etch is red is that it is a helluvalot cheaper to buy 14 Red LEDs then 14 Blue leds ( have you seen maplins prices :eek: )

I personally think performance isn't everything, its a balance of both. You put a ferrari engine in a Lada... its still a Lada, the same goes for if you put a lada engine in a ferrari, its just wrong ;) now you put those hands together, you have the most beautiful cars in the world, that perform and look good. The same for computers, if its powerfull, it should look powerfull, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'll always have a window in every PC I've built. I like showing off the inner workings, especially if it's reasonably neat and tidy. It's cool when you get people over who have a PC, but have never looked inside their's. They're all Ooh and Ahhhh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

eo980 wrote:
    I'll always have a window in every PC I've built. I like showing off the inner workings, especially if it's reasonably neat and tidy. It's cool when you get people over who have a PC, but have never looked inside their's. They're all Ooh and Ahhhh.

thats why i dont bother with windows.. no one ever visits :( HAHA, im a loner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

i go for windows

Advertisement