Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property in Ashbourne

Options
  • 04-04-2006 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi i'm a first time buyer currently looking at property in Ashbourne. Can anyone give me feedback as to the general area and areas/estates to avoid. Also whats the commute like into city centre?

Thanks.
    D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭billsteersnose

Hi. I don't live there myself but a friend lives in Ashbourne and she manages fine. She's lived there for the past 5 years and she's never really mentioned any areas to avoid. As for the commute, that depends where you're going to... The M50, as everyone knows, is about as temperamental as Keith Richards at an AA meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Duffler wrote:
    Hi i'm a first time buyer currently looking at property in Ashbourne. Can anyone give me feedback as to the general area and areas/estates to avoid. Also whats the commute like into city centre?

Thanks.
    D.

Well since no-one has really helped you out, here is my 2c... have a look here at a wikipedia entry for ashbourne. Gotta say it's pretty true in a cynical way, and no, i did not write it..

Commuting to the city centre is not too bad. Bus timetables are available here. (route 103) They are pretty frequent, but the true picture is that some of the buses can be jam packed in the morning and evening, and you have to fight your way to get on (most noteable the stephens green bus in the morning :o )

Places to avoid. Hmmm... Well personally speaking i woundn't buy in places like St John's Wood (aka St John's Hood) or Cluainn Ri.. mini ghettos in the making. But then again i've lived in ashbourne all my life and i've seen the place change so much i probably won't even buy in ashbourne... Are you looking at houses or an apartment..? have you looked at any places there yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sarahhurray

That Wikipedia is a bit harsh on poor ole Ashbourne.I'm from near those parts and Ashbourne is not some romantic village ruined by the celtic tiger. If anything the new apartments and supermarkets are adding a bit of life, if not exactly the most wonderful planning. The by pass should be taking care of the traffic. The fact is you don't live in Ashbourne because it's a wonderful place, it's not. But it is alright, a lot closer to Dublin that the likes of Portlaoise and considering that, not too expensive. The people I know who live there are delighted with the variety of supermarkets including Lidl:)

Advertisement