Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peeling paint--help

• 04-04-2006 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

So I decide to paint a bedroom...easy I thought...got some nice Dulux paint...cleaned down the walls with a good brush...and started into it..got the room done in a day too...very happy....colours turned out very well...

Next day (today) I take the tape from around the doors...it lifted a chunk of paint with it....I notice that the paint seems to come away from the wall easily...I pull a little and it all starts to peal off....no adhesion to the wall...

The previous paint was a bog standard yellow that nearly every house has in it when sold... and it seemed to have good adhesion...so Im wondering ...did the dulux react with the old paint??...

Comments welcome..

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

You bought either Vinyl silk or Softsheen paint.You taped up skirtings and sides of frames with masking tape,but the thing you have to do with these paints is *Either take off tape before paint dries,or run a knife down the side of frame/skirting were masking tape was next day* The paint in question dries to a film,this makes it washable.As you pulled tape off the paint dried as a film onto masking tape thus some of it came off wall also.....The old paint was probably Vinyl Matt which doesnt dry to a film like Softsheen or Silk. Plus also sometimes without realising it the tape is placed on the wall a bit instead of the top of skirting/frame.

You live and learn.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

yeah...I know...lifes like a box of 2" nails, you never know which ones gonna end up in yer tyre...

But....why is the original paint comming away from the wall aswell then??..

the dulux has bonded well to the old paint but both seem to come away from the wall easily...whereas originally this did no happen with the older paint...

Thanks for the input

Dave_W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well the Silk or Softsheen dries like a film like I said and has probably bonded with the old paint.Were as the Matt emulsion doesnt dry like a film.

Was the new paint a Silk or Softsheen?

Advertisement