Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milan - Lyon (scores)

• 04-04-2006 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

1-1 at the moment, Inzaghis goal cancelled out by Diarra after another Juninho free kick.

Cracking game so far!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Did you see how Juninho's free kick dipped?? The guy is definately the best out there at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Great game so far.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Milan look really laboured and sluggish in general. That said they are getting space in behind the Lyon full-backs and I'm not convinced about the Lyon CB pairing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Milan's defence is slooooooooooooooow... Can see either side taking it. Very good so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Some of Milan's defending has been cringeworthy to say the least. The commentator on TSN here was criticising Dida for Lyon's goal. :rolleyes: It wasn't Dida's fault at all. Milan decided to play the offside trap for reasons best known to themselves and they left Dida completely stranded. He was screened by three Lyon players, there was nothing he could do.

Milan could still win this. Lyon's defence doesn't look all that solid, especially on their right hand side. However, I am afraid that Milan's sluggishness in defence and in some of their ball distribution will cost them. :( Lyon could have had three goals by now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

8 minutes to go. Great if lyon can hang in there.

bollox.

2-1 milan

Shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jammy bastards. I hate Italian football, the best team are going out......

Bam. 3-1. Sheva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

undeserved

Diarra's price wont keep increasing now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Villlarreal through on away goals rule. If Arsenal can get through tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Jammy bastards. I hate Italian football, the best team are going out......

I don't agree. More teams should try to remember that games are 90+mins long not 86.

Well done Milan!

Ah that is so harsh on Lyon. Same story as what happened when Milan played PSV last season, outplayed until the end. I guess with all Milan's talent, they don't have to play well for 90 minutes to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Get in there Shev!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

godamnit i had a tenner on lyon. balls.

hopefully only way I can see Arsenal winning the lot is if they play milan in the final. cant see them beating barca.

Jammy bástards, but Lyon's defensive frailty did them in the end. Their midfield not having 90 mins in them didn't help either.

Villarreal through too, I would have preferred to see Inter through tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The same sort of negative tactics that cost Houllier his Liverpool job cost him this tie. For the last twenty minutes it was almost like they refused to hold onto the ball. They brought on Carew but instead of playing like they had been when they were controlling the game, they persisted with route one.

I would have loved to have seen them go through but they only have themselves to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

:mad: Disappointed so I am. Wanted to see Lyon thump them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Lyon, dominated most of the game but didn't put the ball away!
    Milans superior fitness showing through in the end (Milan Lab strikes again)!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Absolute robbery. milan were pretty awful for most of the game. I have never seen Pirlo play so bad. I am absolutely gutted. Had 20e on Lyon before the Champions League even started. the best team certainly didnt win tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I feel like I just got thumped in the stomach. :(

How the feck do they get away with being so bad for so long so often?

Mike.

The same sort of negative tactics that cost Houllier his Liverpool job cost him this tie. For the last twenty minutes it was almost like they refused to hold onto the ball. They brought on Carew but instead of playing like they had been when they were controlling the game, they persisted with route one.

I would have loved to have seen them go through but they only have themselves to blame.

Bit harsh blaming houllier.

Manager has no real choose in that situation. YOu can shout as much as you want at the players, but they will naturually hoof the ball up the field as quick as they can. Every team has done it at one stage. The closer you get to the final whistle, the more defensive you start playing, its completely natural.

I cannot express my delight at this moment in time. I honestly thought that Milan's luck was out when I saw Sheva's shot hit both posts, but then along came Inzaghi and Kaka. Ajax revisited! Even down to the confusion over who actually scored the winning goal. Football is great. :D

That said, I don't think that Milan deserved to go through on the balance of the 90 minutes. The defence was very shaky and the midfield was sluggish for the most part. A lot of the passing in the second half was dire. Lyon looked vibrant, their passing was generally much better. What cost them in the end was their inability to take their chances and stamp their superiority. Milan only had a few really good chances in the match and they took three of them. Lyon only took one of their gilt edged chances. End of story. Two things got Milan through at the end:
    The trident of Shevchenko, Inzaghi and Kaka and European experience. Milan have been here before. Ajax 2003, PSV 2005 to name just two.

My heart is still going at a mile a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

great finish to the game :D

didnt know there were so many lyon fans around

We just can't stand AC Milan or Italian football in general!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Wow! The old EPL fans still have the complex about Italian sides in spades! Milan did the business without poor decisions etc (watch Juve get 'em tomorrow), they put the onion in the sack, what more can they do? If you're going to go through you've got to score more. They did and did.

True but there is something about Serie A sides that makes me want to hit them. Ged can have a word with Gus Hiddink about the trauma.

Mike.

I don't have much against Italian football, I just thought Lyon showed more heart and didn't deserve to go out in the manner that they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

first of all, ac milan rule, milan of the late 80's early 90's are the measuring stick for any successfull club.

secondly, what kind of fan of football doesnt like watching italian football?? u might aswell just watch match of the day everyweek and never see a full match of all u want is the action and the goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Bit harsh blaming houllier.

Manager has no real choose in that situation. YOu can shout as much as you want at the players, but they will naturually hoof the ball up the field as quick as they can. Every team has done it at one stage. The closer you get to the final whistle, the more defensive you start playing, its completely natural.
    Belief comes from the manager. Lyon were bossing the game. They should have kept doing what was working.

It's understandable in the closing minutes to try and shut up shop, but they didn't even do that, they just started hoofing it while still having midfielders up the field, completely removing them from the game. For the last twenty minutes!

I really wanted to see them go through, and I've nothing against Houllier, but Lyon are better than they showed in the last quarter, and were punished accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

nipplenuts wrote:
    Wow! The old EPL fans still have the complex about Italian sides in spades! Milan did the business without poor decisions etc (watch Juve get 'em tomorrow), they put the onion in the sack, what more can they do? If you're going to go through you've got to score more. They did and did.

i've defiently picked up on an anti-italian football vibe here, with italian clubs and their players not getting as much respect as they deserve, I mean people starting threads about arsenals semi finals opponents is just plain disrespectful when there is still another game to be played

Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Hm, missed that. For the record, I think berengar is a Chelsea or Barcelona fan.

I don't think that any Arsenal fan thinks this tie is over, except Jank. Best not to pay attention to him.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    I can understand why some people wouldn't be able to stand an AC Milan side who quite often play poorly and still manage to get a good result. It's quite frustrating supporting them, but that's part of the charm tbh.

Why can't you stand Italian football though? I have to admit that I would much prefer to watch Sampdoria vs Livorno than Wigan vs Fulham, for example. I much prefer Serie A football but I don't have an intense dislike of the Premiership.

Its irrational! :)

Wigan v Fulham would be a good game for the neutral. Plucky little clubs of dubious quality scrapping for points in match of much movement and lousy defences! :D

Mike.

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    i've defiently picked up on an anti-italian football vibe here, with italian clubs and their players not getting as much respect as they deserve, I mean people starting threads about arsenals semi finals opponents is just plain disrespectful when there is still another game to be played

Strange really. I think alot of people dont give the EPL as much respect as it deserves. People always going on about how the standard of the premier leaguei s **** etc etc.

I watch the live italian football match on bravo/setanta most weekends. The reason i was up for lyon was becuase of gerrard houllier, and the under-dog factor aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I don't think that any Arsenal fan thinks this tie is over, except Jank. Best not to pay attention to him.

Where did i say that the tie was definately over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    I mean people starting threads about arsenals semi finals opponents is just plain disrespectful when there is still another game to be played

oh please. you would think the board is full of those threads and you can only point out 1? that doesnt show a strong feeling of disrespect to any teams. can you name all the cocky Arsenal supporters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I wanted Lyon to win as I often download French league highlights, and enjoy watching them play. Fantastic team on the ball. I'm not fond of AC Milan though, for no particular reason - do not refer to me as an EPL fan, as if there can be such a thing in Ireland, again please! ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

i'm proud of my team. they played great. to bad they went so much defensive at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i thought this thread was about milan - lyon but i get the inter vs villareal result on page one :rolleyes:

eyerer wrote:
    i thought this thread was about milan - lyon but i get the inter vs villareal result on page one :rolleyes:
    The Inter match was on Tuesday. What are you complaining about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well a lot of talk about Lyon being robbed and they didn't deserve to go out. Well in my view you deserve nothing in football unless you do it. Lyon were the better team in teh first half and shoudl really have put the game to rest. Bad finishing made sure milan got their chance in the second half.

TV3 however were going on about how Milan were outplayed out classed in this match. Where they watching the same game I was. Milan laid seige to the Lyon goal and were the much better side for most of the second half. The difference between the two was quality of strikers. Lyon had more chances but milan scored their chances.

Pirlo was rubbish in the game and should have been taken off at half time for max. In the second half Seedorf decided to wake up and look like he wanted to play and Serginho pushed forward a lot more.

Lyon didn't deserve to go out but that said they didn't deserve to go through either. At this level you need to take your chances and the same problem they have had for a couple of seasons now came up again in this game. Concentration! Is it because of the level in the French league they are used to playing against? I don't know but i have often seen Lyon nod off for a few minutes late in games. This happened again and bang Sheva was in to lay them to rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

lyon haven't been efficient as usually in attack. i don't think though because the milanaise defense.
    they missed of realism front the net, it isn't their way.
    i take for example a guy like wiltord. he worked a lot in all of the field, we saw him in defense like in attack but i didn't see the same wiltord than the past matchs, because with malouda or tiago he used to be more efficient. i have to speak also of juninho, i remember one action when i thought that he would go deeper and make himself the goal occasion, he didn't do it, i have been surprised.
    but i can assure you for have seen almost all of the lyon's match that this squad is one of the best in europe. because their skill, their consistence and their spirit.
    i don't know if it was houllier tactic to defende the 1.1 at the end or if it's the players which unconsciently sat back. sure thing is that it's not the usual way of lyon. usually the last minutes are often hell of attack.

Advertisement