Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unmarked Garda bike on the M50

Options
  • 04-04-2006 8:53pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thought i would share this picture with you all for 'safety' purposes and to discourge speeding on the M50 ;) . I'm not a bike expert so I don't know what model it is, however its on a 06 plate, which I had clocked in the rearview the same way you would with a navy Ford Focus.
    image13xl.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nedoo

They started using an unmarked evo on the M1 this weekend, spoiler and all! They are going to be testing the new high powered Skoda also, check out todays Herald.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They have been using unmarked bikes for quite a while AFAIK.
    Also if they are not already, then they will soon be equipped with cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

How exactly is that a Garda bike. I mean usually you can spot the old Corolla's, Focus's or Mondeo's with their lack of hub-caps and extra antennae. But that's just a dude on a bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭corco2000

thats not a garda, tats a random dude on a bike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

nedoo wrote:
    They started using an unmarked evo on the M1 this weekend, spoiler and all! They are going to be testing the new high powered Skoda also, check out todays Herald.

i also read this in the hearld, the guards are getting more serious but thats a good sign as it should reduce deaths and bad drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are bikes allowed to go between cars like that ?

I mean if I (In my car) overtook anither car, while in the same lane ( i know all of both cars wouldnt fit in the same lane) i'd probably get done for dangerous driving. If someone opened their car door as a bike is going through the traffic liek that and creams him, whos fault is it? Should they not have to have a clear lane outside the car to over take it?

It does look like a biker garda outfit (leathers, reflective strap and lid) - did it say 'garda' on the helmet?.
    It could also be a biker garda with a confiscated bike remember.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well i had seen one a while ago in Monaghan and he was in the leathers with the reflective strip, and i had also read that article today in the Herald. But what made me think it was a Garda was the helmet, it looked like it had some form of device attached to it, possibly a camera (and no, it didn't say Garda either).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

That is a Garda Bike - one same as for years in Co Monaghan. He uses a radar Gun. On the Monaghan one, the word Garda is on small letters on each side of Bike (below seat). Maybe the Monaghan one got promoted or demoted depending how you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

never knew they had unmarked bikers going round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Unmarked bikes is also now part of the Traffic Corps garage... and yes, the bike does patrol the M50 and surrounding areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

Arai helmet, black Gardai leathers, reflective strap, BMW bike, deffo copper!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ando wrote:
    never knew they had unmarked bikers going round?

All bikers are Garda drivers ;););) Didn't you know.

Now Get out of the way...

(and stop speeding)

Oh and Stekelly, 1) you should be driving to the left of the lane, 2) don't open your doors while sitting in traffic, pull over to the side of the road, and CHECK YOUR MIRRORS BEFORE YOU OPEN THE DOORS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

nedoo wrote:

Many years ago they had cossies and they wrecked them all.

They still have an extremely high accident rate in standard ~100bhp cars

evos wet guarda on a day, a one day training course in mondello, with no experience in a high powered car, not good.

I woulnt just jump from an almera/corolla to 300+bhp (welllll ok i would but i wouldnt have it for long)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Irish Gardai have won, and usually place very well in the garda International Rally (or whatever its called), believe it or not we do have decent garda drivers.

So anyway, is it illegal for a bike to go between traffic like that anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I wonder how often unmarked Garda bikes and cars get reported for dangerous or inconsiderate driving :rolleyes:

...and if there were, who investigates the reports?

Kersh wrote:
    So anyway, is it illegal for a bike to go between traffic like that anyway?

It is a grey area. Do it at 80kmph and you will be done, do it at 30 and you most likely wont.

It is really based on the traffic conditions at the time.

To be honest, it looks far worse than it is. Because on the bike you can tell exactly how much room you have to the left and right. In a car, with the radio on, and speaking on the phone, you get a mild heart attack because a bike goes withing "an inch" of your door.

Many drivers in traffic use their mirrors and move slightly to the left and right to allow the bikes by. They usually get a nod of thanks. To the others that are asleep, well they are at least awake by the time I am at the next exit...

L.

nereid wrote:
    Many drivers in traffic use their mirrors and move slightly to the left and right to allow the bikes by. They usually get a nod of thanks. To the others that are asleep, well they are at least awake by the time I am at the next exit...
    I move over for bikes whenever I see them approaching but most times get no recognition for it. However, its the same with cars!

kbannon wrote:
    I move over for bikes whenever I see them approaching but most times get no recognition for it. However, its the same with cars!

Yeah, I know about the lack of recognition sometimes.

If I could briefly explain,

When driving a bike, the left hand covers the clutch and the right the accelerator.

Thus, in certain situations it is not practical to wave with the right hand (because the bike slows) and either the wave with the left is unseen, or the biker cannot remove the left hand from the clutch perhaps because it is engaged or about to be engaged.

Liken a biker waving to a car driver waving with either foot. (jeez that's a terrible analagy but hey, you get the idea! :D)

Sometimes, bikers can do the indicator left right flash, or maybe extend a foot to the left or right.

In any case, I think that all bikers are extremely grateful when a car moves out of the way namely because that driver has seen the bike!

Hope that helps somewhat.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

nereid wrote:
    Yeah, I know about the lack of recognition sometimes.

If I could briefly explain,

When driving a bike, the left hand covers the clutch and the right the accelerator.

Thus, in certain situations it is not practical to wave with the right hand (because the bike slows) and either the wave with the left is unseen, or the biker cannot remove the left hand from the clutch perhaps because it is engaged or about to be engaged.

Liken a biker waving to a car driver waving with either foot. (jeez that's a terrible analagy but hey, you get the idea! :D)

Sometimes, bikers can do the indicator left right flash, or maybe extend a foot to the left or right.

In any case, I think that all bikers are extremely grateful when a car moves out of the way namely because that driver has seen the bike!

Hope that helps somewhat.

L.

Or Maybe, some bikers, like some car/van/truck/bus drivers, are just ignorant pr1cks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

some are idiots too! In traffic it can be dangerous to wave but if possible saying thanks is good manners.

Filtering is technically legal although dangerous. You can be done for dangerous driving if you do it at high speed. Traffic is supposed to keep left but rarely does so some bikers feel that if they do move left while in traffic it is only moving to where they are supposed to be. Alot of drivers in traffic can go to sleep and are woken by a bikes flying past. Most of the time they're doing 20kmph or less. There are also alot of idiots on bikes but then there are idiots everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's the ones that 'filter' at 130km/h between cars that are travelling at 100km/h on the N11/M11 in the mornings that deserve to be hung, drawn and quartered IMO.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I would see most bikes a good bit behind on the M50, and by the time they get to where i am, i will have always moved over. Usually get a wave of thanks as well ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

nereid wrote:
    All bikers are Garda drivers ;););) Didn't you know.

Now Get out of the way...

(and stop speeding)

Oh and Stekelly, 1) you should be driving to the left of the lane, 2) don't open your doors while sitting in traffic, pull over to the side of the road, and CHECK YOUR MIRRORS BEFORE YOU OPEN THE DOORS.

I knoww how to drive thanks. However I dont drive bikes and that didnt answer my question so it still stands. If both lanes are occupied by cars are bike salowed to scoot up the middle? Or do they have to overtake as if the were in a car (or had a sidecar for instance) whereby they have to have a clear lane to move out into, overtake an dmove back in?

There are a lot of recommendations in the rules of the road, but technically i can occupy any part of a lane I wish. If I decide to move to the right hand side of a lane and a biker is coming through, also in my lane, who is at fault?

On a single laned road you should keep left. The theory is the same for a cyclist keeping left to allow faster traffic to overtake easily and safely. On a road with more than one lane you should use the lefthand lane if possible. If a biker tries to overtake you in your own lane he's an idiot. If this did happen the biker won't give you much hassle as they'll probably be dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

If you look at the OPs picture, the Biker is on the left side of the right lane. So maybe he is keeping left to allow the punto overtake him ;) !

An another point, I have NEVER seen a biker keep left in lane, they always sit right of centre, even on good, pot-hole free, traffic free, open roads.
    Doesnt really bother me as they usually tend to keep a good speed anyway.

Maybe the punto is actually overtaking him. Who knows? In Theory the bike should keep to the left of centre of the lane. This does cause problems with people trying to overtake dangerously so alot of bikers stay in the right of centre until it's safe for overtaking (I can't remember the last time I overtook a motorbike while driving a car)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The reason for that is twats in cars who treat bikers like cyclists. They see them in the left hand side of the lane and try to move their car alongside without giving any room.
    You're far less likely to be killed on a bike driving in the centre of the lane, because the aforementioned twats will be less inclined to muscle you off the side of the road.
    I say this as an ex-biker.

edit: Pigeon Reaper beat me to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement