Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - Compensation Entitlement?

Options
  • 04-04-2006 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭

I got a Ryanair flight to and from Beauvais last week. I went out on Saturday and was scheduled to come back on Tuesday. Due to a strike, my flight was delayed by 2 days. It was said to me that I was entitled to claim back expenses from Ryanair because they had not notified us about the possibility of a strike.

My query is is this true, and if so, who would I contact regarding it? I wasn't that bothered at the time by the delay, but more the fact that a strike doesn't pop out of nowhere, and they would have known it was a possibility.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

chrislad wrote:
    but more the fact that a strike doesn't pop out of nowhere, .

French strikes pop up out of nowhere !

Speaking as someone who has got caught up in them I can say that strikes do pop up out of nowhere especially impromptu demonstrations.

Most travel insurance policies don't cover strikes that have been notified which I have taken to mean striked that were announced (somewhere).

Check the EU travel site http://europa.eu.int/comm/transport/air/rights/index_en.htm - this seems to make everything dependent on you checking-in on time - ie cancellation after you've arrived at the airport and sorted yourself out.

but I expect that the compo there is for events caused by Ryanairs control or that they could have foreseen eg a plane nearing its flying-hours barrier or a cancellation due to lack of interest.

here http://www.eccdublin.ie/publications/leaflets/subject_guides/APR.pdf says no compo is flight is delayed due to strikes

Your gripe is really with the French Unions !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

All I needed to know. I wasn't that pushed about it, until someone said it to me, and it's not a major issue. Got 2 extra days in Paris out of it anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

chrislad wrote:
    All I needed to know. I wasn't that pushed about it, until someone said it to me, and it's not a major issue. Got 2 extra days in Paris out of it anyways!

It's only something I've heard somewhere before, but you may be entitled to claim the tax back. Logically it would seem you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

ditto with Parsi, was in Bordeaux for a long weekend a few years back, due to fly back Monday morning, only found out about the strike by chance (coincidentally France were playing the European Cup Final Sunday night :rolleyes: ). Ended up having to get several trains to get back to Germany, took about 14 hours!
    Called Air France the next day to claim back my ticket price and was told as I was a no show at the airport tough! Explained that as the airport was a hours taxi drive outside the city, the train station 5 minutes from where I was staying and the only train available was at 6.30am what would have been the point in going to the airport when there were no flights running? With typical French aplomb was told that was my problem, never did get the cash back or compensation for paying for the trains myself or the missed day in work as a result, have never flown with them since because of it.:mad:

Advertisement