Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFO - Possible sightings

• 04-04-2006 10:08pm

Okay. I would like peoples opinions on this, and just tell me if I am wrong in my assumptions.

I am sitting down in the sittingroom watching tv. Absentmindely I stare out the window. There are 2 stars in the sky. As I'm watching one of the stars seem to start moving. It's there for a few seconds. I go out into the balconey, stare up into the sky. And see nothing. Nothing where I had seen.. whatever it was. Thinking it might have something with my eyes adjusting to the dark, I stay there for a minute. Still nothing.

I don't think it was an airplane as there were no flashing lights that an airplane would have. It seemed too far up to be one anyways.

What are peoples thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jimmidy_cricket

Does the window have double glazing? Its just if it has then it was prob a reflection of a star (maybe one of the two you were looking at) and as a reflection it would appear to move if it was a reflection because you'd be moving, slightly.

Could also have been a shooting star, they move a bit before the fall and then disapear.

Could cloud have covered wehre you were looking?

Also when airplanes are far away you can't see flashing lights you can only see the main one thats at the front, so it could have been a plane that turned as you got up to go out to the balcony, thus making it disapear.

Does the window have double glazing? Its just if it has then it was prob a reflection of a star (maybe one of the two you were looking at) and as a reflection it would appear to move if it was a reflection because you'd be moving, slightly.

Could also have been a shooting star, they move a bit before the fall and then disapear.

Could cloud have covered wehre you were looking?

Also when airplanes are far away you can't see flashing lights you can only see the main one thats at the front, so it could have been a plane that turned as you got up to go out to the balcony, thus making it disapear.

Cloud cover was one thing I thought about, and glanced around the sky looking for other clouds, or some hint of them, and saw nothing. It's a clear starry night.

I don't think the windows are double glazed, they don't seem to be. As for shooting stars, are they usually supposed to have tails I thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sounds exactly like a sattelite. They'll only be visible for a few seconds as they happen to reflect light at that angle, they'll look exactly like a star drifting across the sky and then vanish.

Although you just reminded me, one night I was lying on my roof and I saw what I presumed was a satellite directly above me, behaving exactly as I've described above. However, a few seconds later there was another one, on the exact same path. I believe I saw three or four pass by the exact same strajectory in the space of ten minutes. That gave me pause for thought...
    I don't think the windows are double glazed, they don't seem to be. As for shooting stars, are they usually supposed to have tails I thought?

You'll rarely actually see a trail unless its a big one. Generally you'll see a tiny and near instant streak. Thats it. Theres no mistaking it for a star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Once, I clearly caught sight of a metallic spheroid in the sky, which hovered and disappeared, reappearing on another side of the cloud, and reappearing back on the other side again. I watched it for a couple of minutes before it just disappeared, and pointed it out to 2 other witnesses. You could see the sun reflecting off the metal of the object.

It was exactly like the video footage of metallic balls in the sky that can be found on many a UFO website or documentary. Wished I had a camera or a telescope that day! :)

Advertisement