Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Album That Changed Your Life

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Back in Black - AC/DC (the album that got me into metal)
    Script For A Jester's Tear - Marillion (the album that got me into, er...Marillion!)
    Desire - Bob Dylan (the album that showed me he wasn't a whiny old folkie)
    The Wall - Pink Floyd (it took a long time to sink in, but it is an album I always go back to. I also seemed to spend a large portion of my teenage years unwinding and rewinding the tape by hand to keep it working)
    This Is The Sea - The Waterboys (a defining moment while I was in college)
    THe Number Of The Beast - Iron Maiden (another defining moment from my school days)
    Black Metal - Venom (heavy, noisy, filthy)

God, I feel old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Magnified by Failure
    Id been listening to all kinds of music by the time i got this in '97. Id gone through metal, grunge, even some dance, but nothing blew me away like this album (until failures follow up fantastic planet).
    The lyrics are incredible, and the musicianship is outstanding (you wont find any 12 bar solos, granted, but the entire album was written/produced/performed by only 2 guys). Being a bassist i think this album really stands out for me because of Greg Edwards very distinctive 'buzz saw' sounding basslines, and the first time i heard the opening to the 7 minute epic closing track 'small crimes' i knew i was hearing one of the most important bands of the time.
    Just a shame noone else heard them. :(

Could tell from your name you were a Failure fan :) Fantastic Planet is a bloody great album havent listened to Magnified yet but I am expecting good things.
    The album for me would have to be At The Drive In - Realtionship of Command. Before I heard this I hadn't much interest in rock/ metal but just the power and excitement bursting behind every song made me pay attention. Noteworthy mention Tool - Aenima for just being a great album :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

It would have to be Beautiful midnight by Matthew Good Band. Ive never heard such music before and it was so powerful.

An honourable mention would have to be Soul of a New Machine by Fear Factory, my favourite death metal album ever. It was my gateway to heavier music.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

For me, it has to be AC/DC Highway to Hell, which was my first hard rock cassette that I bought back a long time ago :)

Then I bought Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast a week later and never looked back. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Black hole sun

Rage against the machine

Mr bungle: since listening to this a lot of my other cds seem bland

Back in black: first album i bought

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

I guess it would have been either Delicate Sound of Thunder or Division Bell by Pink Floyd. I stated listening to them both when I was about 14 or so and up until that point I had only listened to stuff like The Beatles and Oasis. Never in my life had I heard anything so musically emotive as David Gilmore's guitar playing and it still blows me away whenever I hear it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

SOAD - The 1st self titled album , I think Cowboys from Hell Pantera had a fairly big influence too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Under the category of 'life changing' mine would have to be Marilyn Manson's 'Antichrist Superstar'...it was simply unlike anyhting I had ever heard before nor was it anythign like I thought it would be.
    Where the albums signifigance in music lies today is unknown to me but this album was the eye opener of all eye openers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I remember as a child when I was listening to KISS - Destroyer in 1974I was blown away by it (in the positive sense) and that opened the door to Rock Music for me. Equally appealing was 1980s AC/DC - Back in Black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

blastman wrote:
    God, I feel old!

Welcome to the club!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Therapy? - Infernal Love

Bought it back in 96 when it was released and it was the first CD I bought. Started me off on a few years of metal based stuff, a lot of which is hilarious to go back to like Sepultura. Still listen to a lot of Therapy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

Ho-Hum wrote:
    Could tell from your name you were a Failure fan :) Fantastic Planet is a bloody great album havent listened to Magnified yet but I am expecting good things.
    The album for me would have to be At The Drive In - Realtionship of Command. Before I heard this I hadn't much interest in rock/ metal but just the power and excitement bursting behind every song made me pay attention. Noteworthy mention Tool - Aenima for just being a great album :D
    Good to see some other failure fans out there :D
    Magnified is a bit different to FP, the production isnt quite as slick as FP, but its still a great album! The last track ont he album, Small crimes, is still my favourite song of theirs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Radiohead's OK Computer, never forget listening to it for the first time when I was 15. I actually got a shiver down my spine, the album just blew me away. I sorta got the same feeling when I heard Manson's Antichrist Superstar, but it was more a case of he didn't just say what I think he said, did he! Bought the album by accident as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Ritual De Lo Habitual by Janes Addiction, still holds up today as a great rock album, shame they've never come close to it since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭gokgok

slayer - Reign In Blood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

SOAD Toxicity
    Rage against the machine
    Tool Aenima
    And because of these i am now listening to metal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Dookie by Green Day

Got me into rock mid nineties.

Rum Sodomy & the Lash by The Pogues

Evokes so many emotions & understandings of different points of view possibly influenced my philosphy on life

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

relationship of command by At the Drive-in - it's a masterpiece on all fronts.
    or maybe metallica's ride the lightning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Nightwish - Wishmaster. One listen and the rest was history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

eljono wrote:
    Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness over 10 years ago when I was 13. I had been a "raver" when I was a kid and just listened to dance music and techno. Then I heard this album and it just blew me away. It probably suited my angst ridden, early teenage years too. I bought it on tape after hearing it and just listened to it constantly, rewinding and fast forwarding for certain songs, depending on what mood I was in! I have since owned two copies on CD since then. This album totally opened my mind to rock, which then lead to metal and just made me more open to different genres of music. Now, my ipod library is so diverse it makes me laugh sometimes when it's on random. One minute I could be listening to Sepultura, the next Beethoven or Daft Punk. I still listen to dance when the mood takes me but metal related music is my true calling and I've only the pumpkins to thank for that.

Ditto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Jeff Buckleys Grace. It realy changed my perception of what god music is. This album timeless and genreless. It can take anyone who has a set taste in music give them abit of what they like and open there eyes to somthing new. This album got me listening to Blues and opened my eyes to classical singing (Chorpus Christie Charol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Heh, I'd have to say Metallica's Black Album. Not because it's great, I don't even enjoy it now, but when I was but 6 years old, I saw the video for One on TV followed by Enter Sandman. I was utterly blown away. I thought that was the most amazing music I'd ever heard, it was the first piece of music I'd ever truly listened to attentively and felt it. The next day (I was living in the states at this time) we were in the mall, and I spotted the black album. I used some birthday money to buy the tape (I couldn't tell my parents, I knew full well they were opposed to such music) and only got to listen to it three times before mammy found it and "disposed" of it.

When I was 12, all my friends were getting into Korn and Limp Bizkit and other such BS. I thought for the most part it was garbage, I tried to play along but it just didn't fit. I, for some reason, just knew this wasn't metal, not the way I knew it. By chance, I found a small box of tapes without their respective cases under my parents bed. And low and behold, there it was: The Black Album, after all these years! I promptly threw it into my walkman and was instantly once again captivated, as if reunited with a lover. I went into town and snatched up Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning, and that's when it all changed irrevocably.

After that for a few years it was Metallica, Pantera and Death( Human changed the way I thought and listened to music. IMO there is no better band on this planet). No more barre a few songs from other bands (Cynic and Atheist mostly). When I was 16 I heard something different: Insomnium. I immediately fell in love again, and found an entire new scene of metal that I'd never even imagined existed before that. I found SOilwork (A Predator's Portrait blew my mind), Arch Enemy(Wages of Sin and Burning Bridges both made me cream with delight at first listen) and Children of Bodom(still probably my favourite band :o ), and I couldn't stop listening to those for ages, along with At The Gates and the such (still can't help my COB addiction). Those bands became gateways to the other styles of metal, and I soon learned that I mostly loved thrash and death metal (especially the technical/progressive kind), whilst also enjoying other styles (acoustic artists like Preston Reed or Justin King, prog rock bands like Camel, King Crimson and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Primus, black metal of all shades, even some electronia like Venetian Snares or Aphex Twin). So to sum it all up, thank you Lars, James, Jason and Kirk, for showing me the path to musical enlightenment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Iron Maiden - Live after death!

Why? I was 12, Lucozade were using some really cool music in an ad on television with Daley Thompson, someone told me it was a band called Iron Maiden so off I went to Golden Discs and bought the only Iron Maiden album they had. That was the start of my listening to metal!!

Like or loathe Maiden, they introduced me to metal and therefore Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Anthrax, and GNR, so thanks to Bruce Dickinson and those spandex leotards!!!!! Urgh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

at 12 or 13 i was introduced to metallicas - ...and justice for all, that was my first kinda haeavy album

dont like it now, i progressed to heavier bands from that, went to inflames then to death + black metal :D

i was really influenced by inflames - clayman aswell, back in the day :)

Advertisement