Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilroys College. psychology course?

• 05-04-2006 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

i was having a a look here and there for a base in psychology before actually going and doing a course in college.

would anyone recomend this? is it worthwhile?

would their course be a good base before entering a "real" college course or a waste of time? you can do the courses online and they are priced at about €600.

i believe you start with sociology in night courses. am i correct.
    my intention would be to do night courses, after i finish the online one as i have to work full-time.

anyone have recomendations on getting a start on study or a few pointers?

regards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

Mark J wrote:
    i was having a a look here and there for a base in psychology before actually going and doing a course in college.

would anyone recomend this? is it worthwhile?

would their course be a good base before entering a "real" college course or a waste of time? you can do the courses online and they are priced at about €600.

Any psychology course offered under the headline "A journey of self exploration - greater contentment in jobs and relationships" smells funny to me. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but given that a psych course is about 40% statistics and research methods training, waffle about self discovery sounds out of place.

The breadth of topics listed gives the impression that they simply work through an introductory textbook. They claim to offer a 'diploma', which at that price cannot possibly involve the requisite level of teaching for any such qualification. Even a one-year programme in a university would cost 3-6 times that.

I know Kilroy's has a fairly good reputation for some subjects, but that course description just, I don't know, feels iffy. I am more than open to correction by anyone with personal experience of the course.
    Mark J wrote:
    anyone have recomendations on getting a start on study or a few pointers?

Get yourself to a good bookshop in town and pick up an introductory textbook [it will set you back E30-E60 depending on which one you choose]. That will give you a better idea of what to expect in any further study, and will cost a lot less than any correspondence course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Is basically good advice, but I think university education may be overpriced rather than this course being underpriced. If you look around the second hand shops, you will probably find an older edition that is almost as good for less money.

The good thing about a course like that is that it gets you started writing essays and submitting stuff, which might be a good introduction to going back to education if that's what you decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I have the psychology materials from kilroy's( in exchange for leaving cert material which was equally useless), it's complete donkey knockers but it passes the time when you're bored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭blahblah1234

But I have recently bought it thinking I will learn a reasonable amount, is this true, how much work is given and how difficult is it and do you learn a lot for the months you do it?

Advertisement