Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kinder, Gentler Prosecution Service.

Options
  • 05-04-2006 7:02am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Our cousins across the little pond have evidently come up with the solution to prison overcrowding.

Let people off with a warning.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=381799&in_page_id=1770

Burglars will be allowed to escape without punishment under new instructions sent to all police forces. Police have been told they can let them off the threat of a court appearance and instead allow them to go with a caution.
    The same leniency will be shown to criminals responsible for more than 60 other different offences, ranging from arson through vandalism to sex with underage girls.

New rules sent to police chiefs by the Home Office set out how seriously various crimes should be regarded, and when offenders who admit to them should be sent home with a caution.

Article continues on link.

NTM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I think outsourcing prison places to third world countries is the way to deal with overcrowding. If call centres relocate to Calcutta, why not prisons too? I'm sure there any number of countries where you could build, staff and run a prison much cheaper.

That article is from the Mail, so some exaggeration is to be expected, but from what I remember when I was living there, this has been on the cards for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

civdef wrote:
    I think outsourcing prison places to third world countries is the way to deal with overcrowding. If call centres relocate to Calcutta, why not prisons too? I'm sure there any number of countries where you could build, staff and run a prison much cheaper.
    The transport costs are going to be a bitch though.

Advertisement