Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post Car Crash Feelings

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Becasue you said that you would need a different rating for every type of vechicle. Anyone who had driven over there would know thats not true.

Well you agreed with that part so you have lost your arguement, do you think every car/lorry has the same cornoring ability? if so you are wrong and the signs will give a wrong indication to the driver of the car/lorry on what speed they can take a cornor. You can't just stick up and sign and put a speed on it, let say the speed is for a car and next thing a lorry takes the cornor at same speed and crashes? Government are at fault and the driver can sue

Anyone? well I have loads of friend, girlfriend etc who where over there, remember the RTE one programs few years ago about the Irish in Oz, they where all my mates. They have never mentioned these signs, girlfriend was in Oz/NZ last year and she said she hadnt noticed them either. Sound like a pure joke to me, next thing people will be asking for someone to take the cornor for them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

They do speed indication signs on twisty Italian mountain roads as well ...

... and in Germany they just lower the speed limit for dangerous stretches (and put up a speed camera)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Big Nelly wrote:
    Well you agreed with that part so you have lost your arguement, do you think every car/lorry has the same cornoring ability? if so you are wrong and the signs will give a wrong indication to the driver of the car/lorry on what speed they can take a cornor. You can't just stick up and sign and put a speed on it, let say the speed is for a car and next thing a lorry takes the cornor at same speed and crashes? Government are at fault and the driver can sue

Anyone? well I have loads of friend, girlfriend etc who where over there, remember the RTE one programs few years ago about the Irish in Oz, they where all my mates. They have never mentioned these signs, girlfriend was in Oz/NZ last year and she said she hadnt noticed them either. Sound like a pure joke to me, next thing people will be asking for someone to take the cornor for them

OK, you win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Had my first carcrash there last summer. The driver was showing off, doing 110kmph out the back roads, and ploughed straight into a wall. Cant even remember it actually happening - I remember the noises and feelings very very clearly though. I think I went straight into deniel - I was texting,I believe, and when I heard the screeching and the screaming, I thought "Stop showing off *drivers name*". Of course, I felt the pain from the crash, which was fairly bad - did a right job on my back(Still gets sore), and got a nice scar down the right hand side of my neck from the seatbelt.

Once I saw the shattered windscreen, I still didnt really believe it happened. When the smoke started pouring out through the vents, I wasnt sitting around in deniel any more. The driver couldnt open the door, it was jammed. But I was more worried about the important things. I patted myself on the chest a few times to make sure I was still alive. Once I felt that, I went to take off my shoe to bust open a window and get out - when the driver finally managed to use the door handle.

So the 3 of us hopped out, and the car was in a hilarious state - all the windows were shattered, the front of the car was non-exsistant, and the whole chassis was warped. But hang on, wasnt there 4 of us in there car?

The 4th was hanging out the front passenger window, after smashing through it. Covered in blood, and not moving.

Thankfully she came around. The firebrigade had to cut her out of the wreck. Luckily for her, she cant remember any of the incident. We all got stretchered out to hospital in ambulances - apart from the driver. He ran off to find one of his dogs, who was in the back, and ran up the road after the wreck. So I spent the majority of my time explaining to cops that it actually was his car, and that we werent joyriding. The then the minority of my time explaining that he's tax'd, insured, has a license etc etc etc. Joy.

I had a 12hr wait in the hospital before I was seen - despite the fact that I was stretchered in, and couldnt move my arm or neck. We crashed at about 4pm friday - I got home at about 8am on saturday. I was talking to a few gaurd's and doctors about the crash, they were fairly amazed we survived. And I lied about the speed we were going too, so the driver wouldnt get done for it. What a lovely chap I am.

Have had a little bit of fear inside me every time I step into a car now - I try not to let it be known publicly though, since I hate nervous backseat drivers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

OK, you win.

Cop out. You had the better argument ;)

It is very easy to go into a corner too fast (even if you an uber cool l33t driver...) and I suspect that most accidents caused by "speeding" are due to this. While a speed indicator for every corner might be superflous, a sign of some description indicating you are headed for a sharpish bend would probably save many more lives than the ubiquitous speed cameras on motorways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Tellox wrote:
    Had my first carcrash there last summer. The driver was showing off, doing 110kmph out the back roads, and ploughed straight into a wall.
    This makes me sad :(. What was he showing off, his ability to put other peoples' lives in danger? I know that when I have passengers in the car, I'm doubly aware of the fact that I'm responsible for their safety and, to a lesser extent, their peace of mind and confidence in me as a driver. Personally, I hate being a passenger with someone driving like a maniac.

maidhc wrote:
    Cop out. You had the better argument ;)

I know, but really I don't have time to convince a guy like that of my point of view. Some people just like arguing on the Internet for the sake of it. He just kept coming back with more and more ridiculous points and refused to see any of mine. When he came back with the one about suing the government, I just assumed he was a troll.

Maybe I should have put [SARCASM] tags around "You win", but I thought that was obvious.

I know, but really I don't have time to convince a guy like that of my point of view. Some people just like arguing on the Internet for the sake of it. He just kept coming back with more and more ridiculous points and refused to see any of mine. When he came back with the one about suing the government, I just assumed he was a troll.

Maybe I should have put [SARCASM] tags around "You win", but I thought that was obvious.

Ridiculous points? your the one that wants a sign on every bend in the road in this country. Some people really are stupid, Thank God your not in government, would waste millions putting up signs with incorrect info so you will be able to take a cornor?

You still have not answered my question about cornoring? if a lorry comes up and see the sign saying a speed limit for a cornor, goes around the cornor at that speed and the truck turns over of course he can sue the people that put that sign up. It was wrong information for the lorry.

Your point was exactly? you can't control your car correctly and don't know how to cornor correctly so want the government to waste millions putting up signs to tell you what speed you need to be at to go around a cornor? Great idea:rolleyes:

Also Im not a troll, just pointing out that putting up signs is a waste of money that the government needs to build better roads not waste on signs for learner drivers. Your the one that hasn't made one valid point as to why the signs are a good idea, only point you made was that you where driving a van in NZ which you couldnt control and the signs helped you, so actual you where a danger on the road and should not have been driving in the first place if you cant control the car/van. All we have gained from your posts is that your not a very safe driver

Big Nelly wrote:
    You still have not answered my question about cornoring? if a lorry comes up and see the sign saying a speed limit for a cornor, goes around the cornor at that speed and the truck turns over of course he can sue the people that put that sign up. It was wrong information for the lorry.

From above
    No. Just one speed, you learn after the first few bends where you fit in here. In a car you can go about 30km more than the sign says safely, in a campervan, you go about the same as the sign says.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Your the one that hasn't made one valid point as to why the signs are a good idea, only point you made was that you where driving a van in NZ which you couldnt control and the signs helped you, so actual you where a danger on the road and should not have been driving in the first place if you cant control the car/van. All we have gained from your posts is that your not a very safe driver
    I'm sorry, your only point seams to be that I'm a bad driver. This is the usual drivil that every argument on here seams to end up as. You just keep on going on about me being not able to control my car. Why all the personal insults?
    See below:
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Your point was exactly? you can't control your car correctly and don't know how to cornor correctly so want the government to waste millions putting up signs to tell you what speed you need to be at to go around a cornor? Great idea:rolleyes:

Look, it works perfectly well in Oz and NZ, and as peasant mentioned it is used in other countries. The issue isn't wheather it can be implemented. You don't think its a good idea, I do, fair enough. Lets agree to differ.....it really doesn't matter. I was only making a suggestion based on something I saw that I thought worked well, wasn't looking for a slagging match.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It's corner and cornering ...you expert :p

• Advertisement

Why all the personal insults?

Do you know what a personal insult is? I don't do personal insults. You are the one saying Im a troll

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Only an idiot drives too fast around a corner they don't know. If its a dangerous bend then it should be marked as such. That already happens. A stupid person will ignore a sign anyway. Simple fact is the laws are not being enforced enough to deter people from breaking the law.

If there were decent detail stats on accidents we would have some idea what are the main causes of accidents and how to avoid them. But we don't so everyones just guessing what the accidents are caused by.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Big Nelly wrote:
    What??? so you cant tick the same box or some other prov driver? thats another bullsh*t excuse. I haven't a clue what she ticked to be honest but if she can get a test why can't someone else??

When I done my test years ago it was alot worse than now but I followed up and it only took me a month to get my test. Seems if someone wants to do the test they can do it.

Have you ever driven on a provisional without a qualified driver with you?

The Muppet wrote:
    Have you ever driven on a provisional without a qualified driver with you?

No, imagine that I obey the laws!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Big Nelly wrote:
    No, imagine that I obey the laws!

You would not necessarily be breaking the law by doing so. I don't believe you when you say you have not. Mind you don't have a nasty fall off that high horse you are on.

The Muppet wrote:
    You would not necessarily be breaking the law by doing so. I don't believe you when you say you have not. Mind you don't have a nasty fall off that high horse you are on.

Not my problem is everyone out there thinks its ok to flout the law, I don't so your having a go at me for doing so? I can tell you I never drove without a license driver with me when I was supposed to have one. Really when I got first car the first thing I done was get a test and passed it first time.

Advertisement