Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ip Address Tracking

Options
  • 05-04-2006 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

have been getting emails from an address I don't recognise, and the name that shows up with the emails is disguised too, as in it shows up as "total stranger".

Anyhow, I was wondering, if I where to pm someone the originating IP address is there any way of finding out who is emailing me, or even getting a location?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lotsa*questions

Thanks for the link, but I can only find out that they are using broadband and located in ireland.
    Is it possible to obtain any more specific information from the IP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Thanks for the link, but I can only find out that they are using broadband and located in ireland.
    Is it possible to obtain any more specific information from the IP?

If you do a traceroute, it is likely that you'll see where they are at least to a city level. Depending on how descriptive the ISP's router names are, or what you can find on them, you might be able to narrow it down to exchange. Anything further than that, you'd be looking at asking the ISP; they are unlikely to be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If they're all from the same IP address the file an abuse report with the ISP providing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lotsa*questions

Hey, I got him!!!!

I am delighted, it was some wierdo I used to go to college with.

Thanks a million for everything,

I seriously appreciate it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement