Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who was genuinely tough?

• 05-04-2006 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭

Okay folks, so we all know that wrestling is great, and that it is very well thought out, practiced and choreographed to a degree.

My question is, what wrestlers do you think are genuinely tough dudes? Sure, they are all pretty hardcore to take some of the bumps they do, but who is really a tough character????

I'm gonna say Tommy Dreamer, Sabu and Tazz. Tazz was just a beast and he and Sabu spent most of there matches just taking shots at each other because they hated each other so much. Sabu looked like a road map and did some pretty rough things to himself.

Dreamer gets in there for me because of the Sandman Kendo stick beating.

That was f*cking harsh.

So lay it on me folks, who's tough?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Mick Foley, Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle, William Reagle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Others that havnt been mentioned that are legitimately tough are: Finlay, Undertaker, JBL, Dynamite Kid.

There are so many tough wrestlers that you wouldn't want to cross. Generally, guys that are real stiff are tough. Look at the Regal vs. Benoit match for example - they beat lumps out of each other - neither had to take that but did to add to the match... thats tough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Haku, Barbarian, Mick Foley, Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle, William Regal, Finlay, Undertaker, JBL, Dynamite Kid, Rhyno, Masato Tanaka, Samoa Joe, Kenta Kobashi....too many to mention, all tough guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Ric Flair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Rhyno

Man, i remember the first time i heard him speak outside of character and he was real soft spoken. It was quite a suprise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

terry funk,jeff hardy,ken shamrock,shawn michaels in fairness has taken a fair beaten in his carrer or maybe his just that good a show man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭castagnoli

Jeff Hardy my arse.
    Im gonna go with Abyss, Raven, Low Ki, Roderick Strong, CM Punk, BJ Whitmer, Necro Butcher, Bryan Danielson from the Independent scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

i'm obviously interpreting tough wrong..

the triangle ladder match at wrestle mania had to be rough on jeff

Perry Saturn for simply doing this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Satullo - read the section on retirement.

I must also point out that after being shot, he continued to beat the tar out of the guys - now thats tough!

And the fact that he used to be a Ranger instantly makes his tough as f*ck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I think the real though guys are the guys from 60s/70s. Flair said that half the guys who are in wrestling today wouldnt be there if it was like his day. Newbies got the crap kicked out of them by more established wrestlers

Anyone that gets in the ring and gives it their all has a certain degree of toughness that most people don't have. Be it from any era.

But the 1 wrestler that I repeatedly hear being one tough man is Harley Race.

the thing is there are tough men who wrestled from every decade - Lou Thesz, Stu Hart, Terry Funk, Harley Race and those who preceeded even them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

steven richards. he was just a punching bag in ecw and wwe.

jcoote wrote:
    i'm obviously interpreting tough wrong..

the triangle ladder match at wrestle mania had to be rough on jeff

Jeff Hardy can take a bump but that makes him brave more than tough. The fact that you listed him between Terry Funk and Ken Shamrock, two genuine toughies, did him no favours at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

John Cena...just kidding.;)

I agree with alot of the names listed but I think Hardcore Holly deserves a mention. There was a match where he broke his arm or his shoulder (I think against Angle) and he finished the match. That takes guts.

He was also put out of action for over a year thanks to a powerbomb by Lesnar and he came back from that.

After what he did to Rene Dupree after he damaged his car, he seems very tough and vicious. We all remember what he did to Matt Cappotelli on Tough Enough as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Spike Dudley. In the words of JR "Hes the toughest buck fifty Ive ever seen"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'm surprised New Jack hasn't been mentioned. That guy can take as good as he gives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

mention all the wrestlers ye like. talk and write about them as much as ye want. waste of time at the end of the day. we all know the who the best in the business is, its 'THE GAME' (HHH)
    he is the number 1 tough guy.

Jesus Christ, Lesnar!!

• Advertisement

Mae Young.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Sabu and Funk instantly come to mind. Foley and Abdullah the Butcher also deserve a mention.

Fozzy wrote:
    I'm surprised New Jack hasn't been mentioned. That guy can take as good as he gives

Yeah but he was a d*ck

"I don't care if i hurt somebody, or break somebody's neck or kill somebody. F*ck them. New Jack is out for New Jack."

I know he was a tough guy, but he was also a c*nt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ff101

Vince Mcmahon has to be fairlt tough. as terry funk said he is billionaire and he is there taking chair shots to the head, now thats hardcore. JBL is certainly not tough he a bull who uses his size(backstage) and popularity to make himself look tough.

Kurt Angle has to be the toughest son of a b*tch ever. He won an gold medal and he defeated Lenar in 99/00 in a real amateur fight. some feat considering he hadn't had real fight in many years and lesnar was 5 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier.

on an opposite note, sycho sid has to be the biggest p***y ever. there is that story of when he got in a fight with the 5'10, 190lb Brian Pillman and retreated to his car to arm himself with a plunger!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Iceman78

Just wondering why stone cold never gets a mention in here!!

Iceman78 wrote:
    Just wondering why stone cold never gets a mention in here!!

Because he was a softie!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Iceman78

Thats why he finished the match with his broken neck and walked out of the ring after the match!!!

Iceman78 wrote:
    Thats why he finished the match with his broken neck and walked out of the ring after the match!!!

staggered, walked, crawled - no one is going to split hairs :)

aye Austin is a tough cookie aswell - see too many to mention

Iceman78 wrote:

T'was a joke my friend, hence my smiley smiley face!!!! ;) ( thats a wink by the way)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

ff101 wrote:
    Kurt Angle has to be the toughest son of a b*tch ever... he defeated Lenar in 99/00 in a real amateur fight. some feat considering he hadn't had real fight in many years and lesnar was 5 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier.

Huh?

I never heard about that before. :confused:

Yeah seemily the wrestlers were ribbing Angle saying he was no longer the number 1 shooter/wrerstler in the WWE. They rolled around. Angle won. All hail Kurt.

Of course Daniel Puder is making a killing in the independant MMA scene with his "I hurt Kurt" gimmick. But Angle was/is in rough when that whole thing went down.

Of course Daniel Puder is making a killing in the independant MMA scene with his "I hurt Kurt" gimmick. But Angle was/is in rough when that whole thing went down.

The only reasons Daniel got the drop on Kurt is because everyone was told it was wrestling, not grappling of BJJ.

I'm not saying Puder wouldn't have got an Omoplata on Kurt otherwise as Kurt is not really trained in subs, it's just that Puder is a wanker for making such a big deal over it.

In a freestyle wrestling match he would lose......badly! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 CaptainCharisma

Samoa Joe, just one tough bastard. Can't wait for his match against Sabu at TNA Lockdown.

Dragan wrote:

it's just that Puder is a wanker for making such a big deal over it.
    I would n't say that. I mean he's just using an incident to make himself more marketable and to get more notoriety. Its just business.

And he seems smart business wise being one of the primary guys at that California MMA show that looks like it will break the bigggest attendance revenue ever for an MMA show.
    So good luck to him I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Does no one remember Brawl for All?

A: Bart Gunn

• Advertisement

nm wrote:
    Does no one remember Brawl for All?

A: Bart Gunn

does no one remember Butterbean :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

jesus yeah, i remember they showed that knockout a few weeks ago. the memories :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

Shawn Michaels anyone!?

Shane O Mac,now there is one tough SOB...

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Eh anyone remember Mick Foley? He invented new ways to hurt himself. Why he hasn't got more credit is beyond me.

does anyone bother to read the first page anymore - Foley is mentioned atleast twice and he is also mentioned again on this page near the top

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Can't believe no one's mentioned Mick Foley yet!!

Just messin, I think he goes into a different category of "tough". He's the sort of guy who can take a good beating and withstand it, but he's not really the sort of guy who's goin to beat the **** out of you in a real fight, like a Ken Shamrock/Steve Blackman kind of tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Ken Shamrock and Steve Blackman were genuinely tough, with Chris Benoit not far behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Two genunine hard bastards - Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Ravishing Rick Rude.

I heard Ravishing Rick once knocked a bouncer out cold with a slap.
    Duggan was a rough f**ker too in his day. Honorable mentions for Ted DiBiase and The bald one out of the legion of doom ( is that animal or hawk?, i can never remember)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

gotta put my 2 cents in for the Brooklyn Brawler, never made anything of himself, just spent a few years having the crap beaten out of him by every other wrestler that showed up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i would say Sabu. he has wrestled with a torn bicep. A tendon hanging out of his arm. Sabu wrestled with a suspected broken leg. As tazz once said you never know how badly injured Sabu is.

contenders after sabu would be undertaker and mick foley.

Advertisement