Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Washer/dryers any good for drying?

Options
  • 05-04-2006 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

as the title suggests i'm looking for some feedback if a washer/dryer is any good for drying clothes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Had one in a house used to rent. It was alright if you didn't put too many clothes in. If you overloaded they came out slightly damp, but still drier than they would have been from a normal washer. Not as good as a seperate dryer obviously, but if you've only got space for one machine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

Noelie wrote:
    as the title suggests i'm looking for some feedback if a washer/dryer is any good for drying clothes.

in a word... no.

Space permitting, you are better off with a washer AND a dryer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I only have space for one appliance, should i just use a clothes horse? Would it be as good as the dryer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Noelie wrote:
    I only have space for one appliance, should i just use a clothes horse? Would it be as good as the dryer
    My €0.02 worth ...

With modern synthetic or semi-synthetic fabrics and a nice new washing machine with a high enough spin speed (1200+, some go up to 1600 now) my own opinion is that you don't really need a drier, but that's me. We just spin our clothes dry and hang them up on a clothes horse in a spare room. There's minimal moisture in them then so you don't really get problems with damp, and most things are dry enough to wear in a day or two. For things that need ironing you don't really need them bone dry anyway, and having them still a little bit damp just makes them easier to iron.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

they're grand for drying, just bear in mind that with alot of washer / dryers if you wash a full load in em you can only dry half of that load afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Noelie wrote:

I'm similar to Alun here, I've a high speed spin washer drier, and just put the clothes on a horse. But I use the drier if I need something in a hurry, it gives you the option

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

We had one in a place I rented recently, and it took about 100 minutes of dry time to dry a full load. They came out completely dry. Can't remember the make or model, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gonk

As others have mentioned, they can't usually dry as much as they can wash. The one big advantage they have over separate washers and dryers is you can put on a half load to wash and dry in one go unattended, without the need to move the clothes from washer to dryer - say if you wanted to wash something overnight and have it ready to wear in the morning.

Advertisement