Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New BT website - unsecure????

• 05-04-2006 12:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

:eek: OMG, i just logged in to check my bill and it's a new website design, but it's unsecured!!

Surely this is a breach under the data protection act and common sense?, if the website is not SSL secure then anyone could hack in and steal all your personal information and account details?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Yes your right! I won't be paying my bill through there yet.

Oh hang on, I won't be paying my bill anyway!:)
    At least not until they sort their billing system out!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

I've just sent an email to customer.care AT btireland.ie and I suggest you all do too.

I called their customer service dept but I really should have known better - "Sounds like a Technical Support issue". When I told him it wasn't, it was a problem on their own site he transferred me to a Global Solutions bot which asked for a 9 digit code :confused: If only call centre agents were told that there are actually other departments out there! they just have to look outside the box (tell me I got it right, that's the kind of thing this box is all about, right?)

It is what it's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Yes, what happens if you pay your bill on an unsecure website?
    I called BT, they claim it is?....can anyone savvy people say if it is or not?

I see no SSL 128bit padlock on the bottom right when i log in or try pay with a credit card??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Yes, what happens if you pay your bill on an unsecure website?
    I called BT, they claim it is?....can anyone savvy people say if it is or not?

I see no SSL 128bit padlock on the bottom right when i log in or try pay with a credit card??
    Without the padlock and https ,it's not secure

It is what it's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You are 100% correct Richard, I suggest you bring this to the attention of a journo on The Register because that will lead to it being fixed pretty damn quick where talking to their customer care will not .....as we know :(

Having a secure set of pages for all payments is an ecommerce 101 sort of thing nowadays , ie padlock bottom of browser and location of URL on top changes to https:// from http://

• Advertisement

Anyone have an email address for a journo in Ireland to shame BT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Nice of the Home Page to inform us that BT is a "proud sponsor" of MakeITSecure.ie.

I know of some "windowed" websites where an inner frame is HTTPS but the outer one isnt so there is no padlock.

No sign of this when I do view page info though.

L.

Even more shameless than BT are the insufferable morons who pretend to be tech journos in Ireland, go straight to the Register like a good man and do not pass go ! Our 'journos' will lift the story and may rewrite a word or two out of respect for the Reg .

I emailed TV3, hopefully we'll get a speedy resolution.

nereid wrote:
    Nice of the Home Page to inform us that BT is a "proud sponsor" of MakeITSecure.ie.

I know of some "windowed" websites where an inner frame is HTTPS but the outer one isnt so there is no padlock.

No sign of this when I do view page info though.

L.

So i'm right?...i know myself sometimes a window within a window will be SSL secure, but i see none of this on the BT website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I emailed TV3, hopefully we'll get a speedy resolution.
    Copy the email to news@theregister.co.uk will you... :rolleyes:
    TV3.. :p

Done, TV3 might be able to get BT moving...it's dangerous for customers right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I was wondering what the hell you were all on about, I just checked my account and it is on https. Then I tried following the link from the normal unsecured homepage and it also logged me in unsecure. Seems like somebody fcuked up with the links from the homepage. I can view my full account details on an unsecure connection

If you enter https://home.btireland.ie it should take you down the right road, but they really need to fix this ASAP as many might not notice.

Might try webmaster@btireland.ie and see if that works.

edit: Seems BT don't have a webmaster, why am I not surprised. Must try complaints instead. This is a serious issue.

So i'm not wrong?...like i don't wanna get sued!!

When i click on the https link above it is no longer available? "page cannot be displayed"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

So i'm not wrong?...like i don't wanna get sued!!

You might even bring down TV3 with you :eek: :p

jor el wrote:
    If you enter https://home.btireland.ie it should take you down the right road, but they really need to fix this ASAP as many might not notice.

Might try webmaster@btireland.ie and see if that works.

edit: Seems BT don't have a webmaster, why am I not surprised. Must try complaints instead. This is a serious issue.

Well done!

I have sent a support request/email thingy to them "querying" the lack of https support. Usual "we will respond in 24 hours" pfo response so far.

Richard Dower, You will not be sued, and you are correct. Jeez BT are such dinwits.

How long has this "new look" been active? I mean, If it is just this morning then they are damn lucky that some people with half a grain of sense found something fishy with the site. I mean, with all the scam stuff going around with atms and all that, a new website and no HTTPS is very bad. How are "innocent" people supposed to know that the "new look" is legit and that they are not sending Mr Ubungu and his $100 000 000 heirs their details???

Anyway, hope this gets resolved sharpish.

<edit>
    I can't get onto the site at the moment either via Http or s, so maybe they have copped!!!
    </edit>

L.

And The Register!....least i have you guys to back me up, right? RIGHT??

The BT website is down, maybe they are fixing it?

Hey!...you think they'll give me like a €20 credit for being a good customer?

:-)

• Advertisement

Its fixed now.

Well done Richard that must be the fastest fix BT ever did in Ireland, could you mail them and ask them to FIX THEIR BILLING now seeing as they obviously listen to you !

I did Sponge, and TV3....maybe they can do a follow up story on the horrid BT billing system and all the overcharging/missing credits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

looks fixed.

power the people;)

I did Sponge, and TV3.

Oh good, does that mean that if someone snuck in a sly comment about how they hated the amount of adds that TV3 3 3 put in their programmes resulting in one say, not watching that channel, that someone in the TV3 3 3 towers might perchance see it?

Maybe someone will have a go...

;)

Yup, the website is now SSL secured. Wow...they actually did something right for once!

Yup, the website is now SSL secured. Wow...they actually did something right for once!

yeah, but the enter username password screen isn't.

I went via www.btireland.ie and clicked view account.

If I manually type in the https then it goes secure all right.

Have I missed something?

I'm not sure if the previous website was SSL secure when you clicked on "view my bill" and the new page wherby you enter username/password?

Is it important this page also be SSL secure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nearlyhappy

Proves a couple things:

Powers that BT surf this site. As I was told by one of their complaints officers, but I didnt believe it then. Well it was a complaints officer after all....

The time/money/effort that went into this new site, is a sure sign that corporate image is much more important than customer satisfaction.

Heres a suggestion for Broadband Tits

How about you should have taken the money/time/staff/effort you put into this new site, and put it into creating a system whereby your "valuable" customers can effectively pay a bill, and not have to spend hours on the phone to muppets every month????

Just a suggestion...

Nh

Well i think it was more BT gots calls/emails then them surfing Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nearlyhappy

Well i think it was more BT gots calls/emails then them surfing Boards.

Probably, but it'll be a first if calls/emails have had an effect in BT land

:)

Advertisement