Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wat bb provider for 5 cs players

• 05-04-2006 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get bb for next year in carlow town for a house. there will be 4 or 5 of us in the house, we are all cs players and just want to know would a 3mb up and down line do the job.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Irishbrodband??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

ricey wrote:
    Irishbrodband??

That hits about a 10 on the sarcasm meter!

I will go and kiss some snakes. I'm going to hug and kiss some poisonous snakes.:)

I don't know where you would get that kind of upload speed. I doubt ADSL2 will be hitting Carlow anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

3 meg up and down would do just dandy, what provider though ?

And what would the latency be like ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

You'd want an absolute minimum of 256 up (you wouldn't get great pings, but you'd get playable pings with 5 simultaenous players), 512 would be better. I'd say all wireless (especially IBB) would be best avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I've had 4 on my lan at home and 3 meg adsl was perfect. I think it easily could have handled a fifth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah, what Mutant Fruit said - the upload rates are going to be more important than download rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Praetorian wrote:
    I've had 4 on my lan at home and 3 meg adsl was perfect. I think it easily could have handled a fifth.

who was that with?

will to pay up to 60 a month like, six of us in the house, were all paying for it so only be a tener a month, only three ppl using it like, two gamers n other guy using it for internet and the odd time playin games

Are you going to be sharing with x.Calibre ? just out of interest...

no man, ill be living across the road from xCal though, there 6 gamers in that house, 6 gamers in the house beside them n then in my house ive three gamers including myself, so what line do you think i should get, there get bt for 50 a month, think that should do the trick. its gonna be some laugh, 15gamers, im the only guy out of all of em that does networking so i offered to network up the three house, xCal has his house networked up but only in his house not the other house, all im doing is running a cable from a switch from the house beside xCal to another switch n then ill have two wireless switches, one in xCals house, one in mine, cant wait to do it. gonna be a good job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

tom_ass19 wrote:
    no man, ill be living across the road from xCal though, there 6 gamers in that house, 6 gamers in the house beside them n then in my house ive three gamers including myself, so what line do you think i should get, there get bt for 50 a month, think that should do the trick.

How about a leased line shared amongst all the houses :D

Of course with that many gamers you could just setup the network with your own server and play against each, don't use the net at all.

With that many people you could share two Smart Telecom or Eircom Business DSL lines using a Linux server with load balancing.

Load balancing + Steam = no no.

Have you guys looked into any local providers at all? If you're only looking from advice from here people will only be able to advise the national DSL providers, none of which will be any food for 5 gamers really.

Even 3meg/384 upload will be crap with 5 people on it...

no theres only three gamers in my house....ya were gonna be playing over the network anyway but most of us are in clans n we need to get online to play ya no....do u know of any local bb providers are carlow...

Advertisement