Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Product Placement

Options
  • 05-04-2006 12:59pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just an observation but Im watching the latest series of 24 and H&K seem to be paying out a fortune to have their firearms used prominently in each episode. Bauer uses a USP, their tactical teams have MP5's, the bad guys have G36K's and in the last episode I saw Bauer uses an SL8 as a short range sniper rifle.

There are a few other makes thrown in for variety but H&K is very dominant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

The makers of 24 have obviously done their homework & want Jacj Bauer to have the best!! Can't beat the USP!!! I'm not biased, I swear I'm not!! Heh Heh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Walther did fairly well out of the James Bond franchise, I think the actually paid for the product placement in the recent films.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I did notice in a recent episode that he was pinting a half cocked pistol in a guys face, not sure how he managed to get the slide to sit half way back...?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Rew wrote:
    I did notice in a recent episode that he was pinting a half cocked pistol in a guys face, not sure how he managed to get the slide to sit half way back...?!
    There are a couple of threads on this very subject (and others) over on The High Road-
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=191824
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=191829

SPOILER WARNING-
    The incident in question is in an episode recently transmitted in the U.S.
    Don't got there if you're watching it on Sky!

Oh, and apparently the gun was a Glock, which probably explains the technical issue :D:D:D
    <runs for cover>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Ah yes, show biz product placement.
    Technical issues you say.

123803277_b10f396782_o.jpg

How could anyone ask for anything more.
    :D:D

• Advertisement

Hmmmmmmmmm...

A Glokia :D

<runs off to check eligibility for upgrade>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Does it pepper you with 9mm slugs when you get a text message?

Would that be the ultimate 'vibration alert'?

Putting it up to your ear to make/take a call would certainly get you plenty of attention! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Nah!Thats the special "sham" model for Limerick sales only!!:D :D:D

As for market placement well pretty much the entire special police forces of the Western world use HKs.It would be only logical for realismthat the crowd that Jack Bauer works for would tote such.ASAFIK,you cant product place orclaim for your product if it is in very common useage. IE if it is seen every day by most of the world.IE coke colas logo.,but if it is specific to a script where one chacter must be seen drinking a can of coke,it is a different story.
    But think of the free adverts you get.The Bond films are crammed full of this .So much that some companies will pay big bucks to have their products featured in them.Sp would HK get much sales out of 24?Doubtful.

LATER
    Just read Rovis posted links.Most agree Hollywood goof ups not Glock goof ups.
    Jack Bauer is STILL having a very busy and bad day at the office.[What is a normal working day for this guy????] The script is getting madder and madder .Switch off and enjoy the show.

All the bad guys are using HK's as well though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Have a look at any action film from the US in the last 10 years. If its not a nickel-plated 1911 variant its a Glock.

That 50 cent film had about 10 Glocks in it, now it may be the gangsters forearm of choice in New York but surely a few $$$ changed hands as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Forget films or tv look at computer games, filled with real guns, battlefield 2, resident evil etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Rew wrote:
    All the bad guys are using HK's as well though :)

Cant beat German workmanship!!:D :D Suppose they had to upgrade as every homboy ,cap bustin, East LA,rappin gangsta Niggh,be carrin de AK these days,and as a serious terrorist you wouldnt want to be associated with those kind of people:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

Speakin' of HK's. I took delivery of a UMP .40 a month or so ago. If I were less of a computer neanderthal I'd try to post a video of it in action against steel targets or an evil pumpkin or watermelon. Any help in achieving the post of this video would be appreciated.

How big is the vid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

I was going to go out and take one with my HP Digital Camera Using the video feature then upload onto my PC and go from there. I figured a 10 -20 second video would give a good demo. As far a size in kilobytes I'm not sure.

Advertisement