Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Modems

Options
  • 05-04-2006 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭

Can you get ordinary dsl modems with just broadband line in and a Cat5 out that can be plugged into a firewall that could then be configured by PPoe with eircom's username and password? Instread of havng to a router like eircoms netopia into bridged mode as Im on a site where we want to setup a vpn for them with 2 watchguard edge x15 firewalls and one site is up north and they are using a adsl router that does not have an option for bridging.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Yes.

I have an Alcatel modem at home that came with my Eircom broadband. It is exactly as you describe, telephone socket and a Cat5 socket. The connection is driven by the firewall.

However, I got Eircom's broadband at home a number of years ago when it was being offered as a business service (and at business prices too) so I don't know if this is still available from Eircom. It's worth asking though.

Even if you can't get it from Eircom, I'm sure you can get one from many sources locally.

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Thanks Liam

Advertisement