Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone shop gave out wrong phone!

Options
  • 05-04-2006 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

My girlfriend jsut rang me there...

She dropped her phone into Vodafone to get some work done on it. When she returned to collect it, the person at the counter said that they had accidently given her phone to someone else. They said that the person will probably return to the shop and return the phone.. But what if they dont?

Legally/Ethically... what is my girlfriend entitled to here? They lost her phone by giving it to someone else

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Well she should at least be entitled to a new phone, under the circumstances...considering her phone has probably alot of private information stored on it, such as numbers and text messages.

Give it a few days and then ask to be compensated for the loss with a new phone + some free credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

She went back into the shop there and got her phone back.

She didnt get any compensation, however I thought she should have. I know if it was me I would have kicked up total stink.. but the gf is too easy going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Why would she be entitled to compensation over a simple mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Because of the compo-culture. Sure everyone's doing it nowadays! ;)

BrianD wrote:

A simple mistake? They gave someones property to someone else.

What would you say if you handed your car into a garage for a service, and when you went to claim it back, they simply said "Oh sorry we gave it to someone else"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Out of curiosity: did they hand out her sim card as well, or were there contacts i the phone's memory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

With respect a car is a different matter (and a more serious one if sum1 drove off in ur car....) but I agree they should have given her sum call credit r sumthing cause im sure it inconviencied her having to come back into the shop a second time if they had to have been smart they would have because now its more likely she'll be telling her friends about how crap Vodafone have been instead of telling them how nice and friendly they were.....

Karoma wrote:
    Out of curiosity: did they hand out her sim card as well, or were there contacts i the phone's memory?

All numbers/txts/etc were on the phone memory.. This is why she was so annoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

stepbar wrote:
    With respect a car is a different matter (and a more serious one if sum1 drove off in ur car....) but I agree they should have given her sum call credit r sumthing cause im sure it inconviencied her having to come back into the shop a second time if they had to have been smart they would have because now its more likely she'll be telling her friends about how crap Vodafone have been instead of telling them how nice and friendly they were.....

not to some 14 year old girls

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

JohnCleary wrote:
    I know if it was me I would have kicked up total stink.. but the gf is too easy going

Thank God for people like your girlfriend, the world needs less people like you. I'd say your a joy to be around.

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote:
    All numbers/txts/etc were on the phone memory.. This is why she was so annoyed

You do know that when they fix a phone they generally wipe the memory anyway.

Pythia wrote:
    You do know that when they fix a phone they generally wipe the memory anyway.

They werent fixing it.. think they were charging it or something

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BrianD wrote:
    Jesus, free credit costs them feck all it is the least the incompetent bastards could do.
    What if this was a laptop with all your files and stuff, I save lots of stuff on my MMC card.

If it was a creche would it have been a "simple mistake" :D

Bluetonic wrote:
    Thank God for people like your girlfriend, the world needs less people like you. I'd say your a joy to be around.

If the world was like my girlfriend, we'd be getting sloppy meals, paying over the odds for services, etc.. the list goes on.

I am a total joy to be around, but I won't settle for 2nd best when I deserve the best. When im providing a service to my customers, they come first. Afterall, they are paying my wage. I don't see why anyone else should be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

A mistake. Mistake being the main word.

rubadub wrote:
    Jesus, free credit costs them feck all it is the least the incompetent bastards could do.
    What if this was a laptop with all your files and stuff, I save lots of stuff on my MMC card.

If it was a creche would it have been a "simple mistake" :D

But it wasn't a creche.

They were doing her a favour by charging her phone for a few minutes. It was a mistake, get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

They should have offered something without admitting to any liability.

I would have the same attitude as they OP.

If I drop my kid to a creche and they give her to the wrong parents, why should I have to come back later to see if the other parents realise they have the wrong kid.

Same theory behind it. My advice, get on to their press office and let them know what happened and that you will issue a statement to the papers about it.

Probably just get 10 euro credit. What else do you want?
    S

A free holiday?

A free holiday?

Ha ha! :D

Now I know you're kidding!

I'm not!...the emotional trauma alone could wreck this poor girls life!!

• Advertisement

I'm not!...the emotional trauma alone could wreck this poor girls life!!
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Talk to the judge cos the shop aint listening;)

slumped wrote:
    Same theory behind it. My advice, get on to their press office and let them know what happened and that you will issue a statement to the papers about it.

HOT OFF THE PRESS!
    Mistake made in shop! Recified soon after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Pythia wrote:
    HOT OFF THE PRESS!
    Mistake made in shop! Recified soon after!

4 people dead in the violence which followed into the night ..

vortal_pic_67794.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

Was she charged any money for charging the phone?

If she was concerned about privacy, why didn't she have a PIN on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Everyone makes mistakes in work, no harm was done. If they're repairing a phone they take out the sim and mmc before they send it off. But in this case they were doing her a favour by charging it for a few mins (i'm presuming.) I bet you anything it's against Vodafone's policy to do such a favour because a quick charge wouldn't be documented etc. and when a simple mistake is made, people like the OP scream for compo. I'm sure if they had said no he'd be on here complaining that they're too scabby to charge her battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RodVelvet

Working with phones myself, this is why i hate doing anyone a favour.People are just ungrateful SOBs.

Normally if someone asks can I charge a phone I usually say I don't have any spare chargers.Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Do you think credit grows on trees.I know if I started giving out free credit it would be taken out of my wages.A good case for never doing any one a favour.

The person in the shop made a mistake.Everyone deserves forgiveness, it says so in the bible.Don't cast the first stone and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Oh cop on - they were doing her a favour by charging it.
    Get over it.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

JohnCleary wrote:
    They werent fixing it.. think they were charging it or something

Was that a chargeable job ?

slumped wrote:
    What else do you want?
    S

A decent apology tbh. All the person in the shop said to her was "Don't worry about it - it happens all the time" ... Because thats going to make you more confident!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Seriously, get over it. There was no harm done. In fact, I can only see good out of this. Maybe your gf won't forget to charge her phone in the future :)

Advertisement