Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone shop gave out wrong phone!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

chrislad wrote:
    Seriously, get over it. There was no harm done. In fact, I can only see good out of this. Maybe your gf won't forget to charge her phone in the future :)

It's ok, I got the lend of an AK47, went into the shop and shot dead every staff member I could see at the time*

*Not really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

She should quite her job and claim she did it because the incident drover her crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

The phone itself isn't a major concern, the sim I would be more concerned about. They gave her data to someone else. In principle thats a bigger issue.

As a matter of goodwill they should have offered her something. But of course goodwill means nothing these days. No one cares about the customer. even the customer. Laughing it off is very "Irish" but thats why we have such rotten service for everything in this country.

It would be an interesting topic to ask the Data Protection Commissioner about.

Data Protection Commissioner http://www.dataprotection.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

It would be an interesting topic to ask the Data Protection Commissioner about.

Data Protection Commissioner http://www.dataprotection.ie/

They were doing her a favour, so she handed in her phone at her own risk. That'd be similar to ringing those guys up because your friend gave your phone to someone else.
    They were just charging her phone for a few minutes. Next time I'm sure they'll remember to tell customers to **** off if they ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yes things like that do happen. She got the phone back, so what's the fuss?
    If the OP is really upset he should write a letter pointing out the error of their ways. That way you are indicating your concern at their lack of proper systems. The ability to provide good service is not intinctive. Summarises many of the the "assistants" in shops these days.
    Disappointing that so many posters seem to think waving the compo flag's the way to go.

• Advertisement

Pythia wrote:
    They were doing her a favour, so she handed in her phone at her own risk. That'd be similar to ringing those guys up because your friend gave your phone to someone else.
    They were just charging her phone for a few minutes. Next time I'm sure they'll remember to tell customers to **** off if they ask.

Rubbish. This is a business and customer relationship. Nothing like a friend at all. If they are so inept that they give out the wrong phones, to the wrong people they should stop other sloppy practises aswell. I think its a bit much asking for compo after them doing a favour but really if you screw up, your credibility is gone, how else do you restore the customer goodwill? I've never heard of shops charging someone phone before.

I've had shops lose a few things on me. First was a Apple Laser Printer, another time it was expensive portable CD player. Its just poor service, time to take your business elsewere.

Pythia wrote:

Right, so say if I was doing you a 'favour' by servicing your car right... and then I go along and crash it. Do I just hand it back to you, without even apologising, saying "Ah sure it happens all the time"

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They were doing you a free favour so there's not really much you can argue.

It would be one thing alright if the phone was never recovered or if you were paying for a service but since you got it back, alls well that ends well.

As long as the shop were nice about it and apologised, what more can they really do...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

People seem to be using extreme analogies. "What if I was babysitting your kid, and his head fell off, but I said sorry? Same thing".

Fact is, Vodafone (or indeed, O2 and Meteor) do not have to charge your phone for you. In fact, as I recall, they are advised not to for this reason. Thay were trying to be friendly, and yes, a **** up happened, but a **** up that was resolved, and that didn't hurt anyone. Yes, it would have been an issue if the sim got into someone elses hands, but it would have been her own fault if a) she didn't turn off the phone when dropping it into be charged or b) didn't have a PIN. Also, it's quite easy to stop people getting at your info by turning on the sim lock that comes with pretty much any phone, so in the event of something like this happening, there should be a safety measure. I don't know of anyone who knows anything about phones who don't have a security code on their phone if another sim is inserted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

JohnCleary wrote:
    Right, so say if I was doing you a 'favour' by servicing your car right... and then I go along and crash it. Do I just hand it back to you, without even apologising, saying "Ah sure it happens all the time"

:rolleyes:
    If the phone wasn't damaged and you got it back, stop making stupid analogies which are in no way similar.
    You have the bloody phone back, don't ask for anyone to charge it for you ever again, the end.

• Advertisement

HavoK wrote:
    As long as the shop were nice about it and apologised, what more can they really do...

You really didnt read my posts did you? I'm angry because they didnt even apologise to her, instead came back with "Don't worry it happens all the time"

bluewolf wrote:
    If the phone wasn't damaged and you got it back, stop making stupid analogies which are in no way similar.
    You have the bloody phone back, don't ask for anyone to charge it for you ever again, the end.

Turns out she actually had to get something fixed under warranty, I was wrong when I thought that she was in getting it charged for her

Banging on WHY it was there is missing the point.

But its very "Irish" to dismiss poor service as not important.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭kirving

Pythia wrote:
    You do know that when they fix a phone they generally wipe the memory anyway.
    No, they "update the "software"":rolleyes: And happen to just wipe all your expensive vodafone tones in the process. Either that, or they listen to them and wonder where you got them all! And then ask you! I know a lot of phones play mp3's these days, but back in the day, I got my tones off www.gapsring.co.uk

Advertisement