Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus shares

Options
  • 05-04-2006 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Ok guys i would like to invest in aerlingus.Could you please tell me how do i go about opening an account with a stock broker.could anyone please help me out.and also how do the commisions work?
    Would anyone have a link to any site that shows how shares are biught and sold on the net,as i would love to read abit more about it 1st.

all comments will be welcome.
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Aer Lingus is not floated publically (yet) so shares are not available to buy and sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Bluehair wrote:
    Aer Lingus is not floated publically (yet) so shares are not available to buy and sell.

i know that:rolleyes: .but i just want to be ready so when they do float i will know how to buy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BRICKTOP

Its an IPO (initial public offering) which means you can buy direct. You will not need a broker until you are going to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭jdc78

I think Davy's has compiled a lot of forecasts for EI and their IPO so they may be a good place to start. Usually you will need to open a portfolio account with a broker who can place a bid on your behalf. Unfortunately, most have a significant mimum contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Nemotoid

Try the following sites:
    www.goodbody.ie
    www.davy.ie
    www.ncb.ie

They have a full listing of available accounts and charges....you can set up an online nominee account by basically filling in some forms and sending a cheque for approx 2k. Internet trades are approx €25 a pop with quarterly fees on top. Davy account definately has an on-line tutorial section.

Alternatively you can go into BOI or AIB branch and they can organise an account with Davy or Goodbody respectively, although youre looking at trading fees of approx 1.65% along with the 1% stamp duty you must pay on all share purchases. Once you place a call to the trader he completes everything for you.

You should be able to complete the above well in advance of the release date which is expected to be on/about June 2006.

You make a decision regarding elan shares?

• Advertisement

Nemotoid wrote:
    Try the following sites:
    www.goodbody.ie
    www.davy.ie
    www.ncb.ie

They have a full listing of available accounts and charges....you can set up an online nominee account by basically filling in some forms and sending a cheque for approx 2k. Internet trades are approx €25 a pop with quarterly fees on top. Davy account definately has an on-line tutorial section.

Alternatively you can go into BOI or AIB branch and they can organise an account with Davy or Goodbody respectively, although youre looking at trading fees of approx 1.65% along with the 1% stamp duty you must pay on all share purchases. Once you place a call to the trader he completes everything for you.

You should be able to complete the above well in advance of the release date which is expected to be on/about June 2006.

You make a decision regarding elan shares?

thanks alot for all the replys.
    and also i have not decided to get the elan shares as they are not stable.i check it out by buying the shares on bull bearing.:D

Just checked out the davy website.that looks like its got some good information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Nemotoid

That is true alright...althought the risks reward ratio can be worthwhile...bought in myself two years ago at 2.50 and sold at 20...paid for deposit on the house...in again at the moment and awaiting news towards end of June so hopefully all will go right the second time round, as was said previously its a vicious roller-coaster!

May check out bull bearing site

Nemotoid wrote:
    That is true alright...althought the risks reward ratio can be worthwhile...bought in myself two years ago at 2.50 and sold at 20...paid for deposit on the house...in again at the moment and awaiting news towards end of June so hopefully all will go right the second time round, as was said previously its a vicious roller-coaster!

May check out bull bearing site

whats risk rewards ratio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Aer Lingus may not be a great choice as your first share investment.

Make sure you do plenty of research about the state of the irish and global aviation market before jumping in.

If you are serious about investing then you should think about playing virtual shares for a while before.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

The risk reward ratio is the ratio of risk against reward! Generally, the higher the risk the higher the possible return. You should really know something like that if you're going to buy shares!

Just curious, why do you want to buy Aer Lingus shares?

• Advertisement

David19 wrote:
    The risk reward ratio is the ratio of risk against reward! Generally, the higher the risk the higher the possible return. You should really know something like that if you're going to buy shares!

Just curious, why do you want to buy Aer Lingus shares?

thanks for explaining the isk reward and also i want to purchase the shares as i think they will go up after they will be sold on the stock market

Aer Lingus may not be a great choice as your first share investment.

Make sure you do plenty of research about the state of the irish and global aviation market before jumping in.

If you are serious about investing then you should think about playing virtual shares for a while before.
    thanks for you post, im still reserching on shares.also im using bull bearing as my virtual shares website.so im learning but slowly.as i have never done this before but would love to get involved with trading.as once you get the hang of it then it can be good money as my cousin in uk used to and still does day trading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

i wouldnt touch aer lingus with a barge pole .what makes you think they will go up? theres no guarantees unless government prices them in a low range which is unlikely. the unions have too much power there and this stops aer lingus from being as profitable as ryanair or british airways,if you think airlines are a good investment then buy the better run ones like british airways and ryanair etc.

i wouldnt touch aer lingus with a barge pole .what makes you think they will go up? theres no guarantees unless government prices them in a low range which is unlikely. the unions have too much power there and this stops aer lingus from being as profitable as ryanair or british airways,if you think airlines are a good investment then buy the better run ones like british airways and ryanair etc.

:rolleyes: interesting.never thought of that.im still researching im not going to just go out any buy shares straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Ditto. To the OP, check out www.fool.com Excellent website which explains the basics in trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

If they sort out the workforce, it could be a good company. I think the shares will go down from the IPO, then up from there

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

I'm also interested in buying shares in EI. I have worked for them for a while etc.

Could you please provide a link for virtual shares if ya can cheers!

Macers wrote:
    I'm also interested in buying shares in EI. I have worked for them for a while etc.

Could you please provide a link for virtual shares if ya can cheers!

check out www.bullbearings.co.uk for the virtual shares

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

drdre wrote:
    check out www.bullbearings.co.uk for the virtual shares

Many thanks...

Macers wrote:
    Many thanks...

no problem it is really good fun.just buying and selling and trying to work out whats happening.

• Advertisement

Personally, I think EI would be a good choice for a small to modest investment - keep an eye on Emirates airlines as I wouldn't be surprised if they try and buy a majority. If they do, I think those invested, could see some nice returns.

jdc78 wrote:
    Personally, I think EI would be a good choice for a small to modest investment - keep an eye on Emirates airlines as I wouldn't be surprised if they try and buy a majority. If they do, I think those invested, could see some nice returns.

thats what i was thinking.just invest and wait for it to increase abit then sell it.i donot want to be greedy or anything as it would be my 1st time buying shares.but i still think research is needed 1st as it could even go the opposite way and i might loose.

DRDRE,
    Investing 10000-2000K will not really see much of a return for a good number of years. If this is your first time investing, you should look at some penny stocks, throw a couple hundred euro into one and hope for the best. I do think for someone starting out, there are a lot better options out there to make some money and learn from than EI.

I know that comes across as a bit of a contradiction to what I said previously but when I was saying EI being a good bet, you have to realise this is a number of years in duration not necessarily for someone wanting to get into day trading execting some earnings in a week or so which is the norm with day traders.:p

jdc78 wrote:
    DRDRE,
    Investing 10000-2000K will not really see much of a return for a good number of years. If this is your first time investing, you should look at some penny stocks, throw a couple hundred euro into one and hope for the best. I do think for someone starting out, there are a lot better options out there to make some money and learn from than EI.

I know that comes across as a bit of a contradiction to what I said previously but when I was saying EI being a good bet, you have to realise this is a number of years in duration not necessarily for someone wanting to get into day trading execting some earnings in a week or so which is the norm with day traders.:p
    yes you are right there are other options but where can i find out more.thats my problem i want to invest but donot know much.:D

I used to do some day trading a good few years ago - never had much luck though but I used etrade.com

http://uk.etrade.com

There are a number of articles and FAQs which could help give you a start.

jdc78 wrote:
    I used to do some day trading a good few years ago - never had much luck though but I used etrade.com

http://uk.etrade.com

There are a number of articles and FAQs which could help give you a start.

thanks for your help.i will check it out.same as my cousin he did day trading and made good money but lost alot of it by the time he gave the trading up.:(

How does one find out what the IPO is going to be and how many shares they are selling?

Wait for the day?

How does one find out what the IPO is going to be and how many shares they are selling?

Wait for the day?

Donot know, we will both wait for an answer from someone with some knowledge on these shares:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Macers wrote:

I'm sure that in the eventual 'sweetheart' deal that will be worked out with the unions, the workers will be given shares and additional share options.

While I'm all in favour of privising AL, I wouldn't touch any shares for the first 2-3 years, not until the initial required investment in the Trans-Atlantic fleet has been sorted.

...plus there's also the long-term problem with oil shortages.

Maybe everyone here is too young to remember what happened with the Eircom shares?

• Advertisement

I remeber eircom alright. I think AL is a more successfull company though. Im just curious to see what the IPO will be, although I fear it might be too high.

Depending on how things pan out, ill probably buy a small amount of shares, but I wont be putting my eggs in one basket, that's for sure.

Advertisement