Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tahini sauce/paste

• 05-04-2006 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get Tahini sauce/paste (not sure which it is) in the D7 kinda area, or failing that in city centre?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blue Duck

you can get it in most health food shops e.g. holland and barrett on grafton st or in the stephens green.
    there are two types light and dark - i use the light for making houmous but have never tried the dark one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I generally get it in Madinah on Moore St, it's the shop with the bright orange signage.
    Failing that you could probably get in on Camden St in the asian shop there or on Mary St in asian food store.
    I generally buy large tubs of it and they last for ages, I have a few recipes that use it and while humous is the best of them that's only by a small margin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Thanks peeps. Picked it up in Madina on Moore St. Lots of interesting things in there! :)

Ok the home made humous didn't go very succesfully. :mad:

It's not bad on toasted McCambridges bread though. Blub2k4 what recipe do you use? What sort of consistency should it be? Mine is like polyfilla!

Maybe that's coz I'm used to Tesco humous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My 'recipe' ...

1 tin of chickpeas drained
    2 garlic cloves
    3 tbsp tahini
    3 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
    2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    seasoning

Put in blender and whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Sometimes I add a bit more oil if it's too thick, and/or a bit more lemon juice. In fact I usually just wing it on the quantities most times and it works out just fine.

I believe there's two kinds of tahini paste, and I usually get the 'light' kind. Even that's a bit 'claggy' sometimes depending on the make. Also make sure to thoroughly stir the tahini before use. The oil separates out and what remains could indeed be used instead of industrial strength adhesive :)

• Advertisement

here's my recipe, cant remember where I have it from, think it maybe the quick and easy cookbook.
    Tis the best I have tasted and I have made large batches for parties in the past, it scales very easily.
    2 cloves garlic
    1 can Chickpeas
    Juice of 1 lemon
    2 tbsps Olive oil
    6 tbsps Tahinii
    Salt and pepper
    Chopped Fresh parsley or Coriander for garnish.

Ok you need to open the peas and seperate the liquid and the peas and reserve the liquid for use. Put the peas and some of the reserved liquid with the lemon juice in a blender and blend until you have a consistency you like, this should be somewhere between whipped cream and cement () it should not be runny but nice and chunky and thick. Once you have blended that then add most of the olive oil and the tahinii and blend further. Once all the ingredients have been blended together then you need to season with salt and pepper then stand in the fridge for at least an hour or two if not overnight (overnight really is best but it needs to stand a while to allow the flavours to mingle and to chill it. Garnish with Parsley and drizzle the rest of the olive oil over the top ( cos I think coriander tastes like fairy liquid ) Serve with pittas or French bread.

Another tahini fave of mine, think it may be from the same cookbook.
    This really is extreme on the garlic but fantastic. Actually if Shabadu is reading I think she may like it a lot. :D

2 bulbs garlic, that's bulbs not cloves ;)
    2 tbsps Lemon juice
    1 small onion
    a handful of chopped Fresh parsley
    3 tbsps tahinii
    6 Tbsps Olive oil
    salt
    pepper

Roast the two bulbs of garlic at 180c for 8-10 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool. Once the garlic has cooled then pop it out of its skins and chop it finely. Chop the small onion finely (brunoise) then add it to a medium shallow pan with the olive oil and the chopped garlic and fry until the onion is sweated down and soft. Remove the garlic and onion from the heat then add lemon juice, tahinii and Chopped fresh parsley and season with salt and pepper. Serve with pittas or french bread.

Pretty much did all that, so that's grand. Even stirred the crap out of the tahini first, it was like Malahide estuary on a bad day. I actually did the chickpeas from scratch, rather than from a can (don't ask ;) ). I suspect I didn't tenderise them for long enough. I will endeavour to do better next time. I once made a red pepper humous and it was fab, but I didn't use tahini, I wonder what I did with that recipe? Thanks guys and dolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Another tahini fave of mine, think it may be from the same cookbook.
    This really is extreme on the garlic but fantastic. Actually if Shabadu is reading I think she may like it a lot. :D

2 bulbs garlic, that's bulbs not cloves ;)
    2 tbsps Lemon juice
    1 small onion
    a handful of chopped Fresh parsley
    3 tbsps tahinii
    6 Tbsps Olive oil
    salt
    pepper

Roast the two bulbs of garlic at 180c for 8-10 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool. Once the garlic has cooled then pop it out of its skins and chop it finely. Chop the small onion finely (brunoise) then add it to a medium shallow pan with the olive oil and the chopped garlic and fry until the onion is sweated down and soft. Remove the garlic and onion from the heat then add lemon juice, tahinii and Chopped fresh parsley and season with salt and pepper. Serve with pittas or french bread.
    Mein gott! I'm making this for dinner tomorrow.

My houmous recipe:

Drained chickpeas

Drained butter beans (I find it gives a smoother texture if you use them & chickpeas together)

1 tsp freshly ground cumin

Juice of one lemon

3 cloves garlic, or to taste

salt

Dessertspoon of tahini. (light, dark is too intense imo)

2 tsp sesame oil

1 dessertspoon of toasted sesame seeds to stir through at finish.

I also use tahini mixed with scooped out roast aubergine flesh, garlic, lemon juice, & parsley for a quick baba ganoush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I know it's a bit late now but there is a healthfood shop just opposite Phibsboro church on the left hadn side as you head towards the park.

maybe they have houmous?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 hillynicky

thanks for the great recipes!

Advertisement