Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodhrán Lessons

Options
  • 05-04-2006 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi there

Does anyone know where I could get beginner Bodhrán lessons preferably near Rathmines or the city centre?

I checked Waltons Music School but they are not teaching this semister.

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭noeleenred

Phoned Waltons again and they now have a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

there is a bodhran teacher in St.marys College rathmines . jus go in and ask i'm sure she would do it cheaper than waltons

Thanks for that but I've started in Walton now and am really enjoying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

I am interested to know what kind of thing they actually teach. Are there a lot of different techniques?
    I joined a trad music class and the bodhran lessons were really basic compared to the other instruments so I am curious to know what you are learning. Is it harder than it looks?

It is basic, for beginners so you have to learn from the begining. The bodhran is about tapping the instrument, other instruments are different, you learn the scales and chords etc. No, it's no hard but we haven't gotten to the really hard stuff yet. It's sounding a lot better than when I got it first.

There are a lot of techniques but we are only learning the Kerry style (with a stick). I tried playing it with my knuckles and it really hurts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

Cool. Best of luck with it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 the clansman

its an instrument you can teach yourdelf with a good book on it(stephan o hanigan) and genuine interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 darkins99

Hi,

Try this website http://www.bodhranii.com/. One of the best around and the guys on the associated web forum are some of the worlds best players/teachers who are always there to help.

Good luck!

Nice one darkins99

• Advertisement
Advertisement