Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Test Tomorrow - Tips ?

Options
  • 05-04-2006 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi, I've got my test tomorrow in Wicklow, it's my first time doing it, so I'm looking for a few tips. I've been driving from Greystones to UCD every day for about 18 months, so I'd like to think I'm somewhat experienced. I've just done a pre-test, and the instructor said I should be fine, just remember observation, etc.

Just wondering does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance, and I'm not looking for conspiracy theory stuff like "wear a suit/short skirt etc." :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

cr1spy wrote:
    Hi, I've got my test tomorrow in Wicklow, it's my first time doing it, so I'm looking for a few tips. I've been driving from Greystones to UCD every day for about 18 months, so I'd like to think I'm somewhat experienced. I've just done a pre-test, and the instructor said I should be fine, just remember observation, etc.

Just wondering does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance, and I'm not looking for conspiracy theory stuff like "wear a suit/short skirt etc." :)

Just be calm, sonot panic.always look at the mirrors and realy you should be fine.yoy must be an alright driver if you drive from greystones to ucd.

anyway good luck and tell us how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ek942

If you think you've failed or the tester is a bastard,throw him/her out and make him walk back to the centre.Keep checking all mirrors and don't go too slow.It's worse than speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

1) fifteen second rule (count up to fifteen and lookin a mirror or at least roll ur head so it looked like u looked in alll 3)
    2) pretend the person next to u is a bit slow or and old lady and has no seatbelt on and has a boiling cup of coffe in their hand (dont spill it everything should be real smooth )
    3) then can fail u if they want to nothning to do with ur driving be nice open their door first even if they are not getting in till they check ur lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Dont crash:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Observation,
    Observation,
    And more observation.

Good Luck With It.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Make the instructor feel as comfortable as possible. Don't brake hard, when you are approaching a red light, change down in due time, and cruise up to the line/stopped car, breaking as smoothly as possible. When a car in front of you has stopped, and you must go behind it, don't stop too close. Leave a sufficient amount of room for you to get around this car, if that car happens to break down. Remember that altho it's not clearly stated in the Rules Of the Road, when approaching a junction governed by traffic lights, the speed limit is 25mph.

Keep both hands on the wheel when turning a corner, don't gear change in the middle of the corner. Don't cross your arms when turning the wheel. Be alert, and have fun! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭cr1spy

Thanks lads, I'm feeling confident as I do most of that stuff already, just wanted a bit of reassurance. I'll let you know tomorrow how I got on

Start the test by telling the tester how glad you are to be allowed to take the test again after what happened last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

I took my test last week in Rathgar and passed, so it's all pretty fresh in the memory! Some tips from me:

- Double check your tax, insurance, licence etc. before your test

- Check your lights, indicators, tyres too. Definitely worse than failing, not being taken out at all!

- Clean the car inside and out, it will create a good impression. Also, nothing says "I'm taking this corner too fast" quite like stuff rolling round in the car, so empty it out

- Go in with a full tank of petrol. It's easier to stall the car on a near empty tank

- Know your technical checks. I got asked where brake fluid, coolant and oil gets put in on mine

- As the tester says, just drive in your normal manner. Forget he/she is there, don't bother trying to make conversation etc. they don't expect it. Pay no attention whatsoever to what they're writing, might only be a Grade 1 fault

- I personally adjusted my mirrors out slightly to force head movement. However, I had them like this for the month before so I was used to it. I would recommend you setup your mirrors as you have recently

Good luck, really hope you pass. If not, apply again the next day with a work letter (if you can get one) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

so how did you do, did you pass or fail.hope its good news

• Advertisement
Advertisement