Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PayPal - holding my personal details?

Options
  • 05-04-2006 2:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

I am about to leave PayPal forever, however their servers/computers still hold all my personal information incl. bank and credit card details. I wish to have any and all information held by PayPal removed.

Can anyone offer advice as to how i would go about this and what rights i have?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I am about to leave PayPal forever, however their servers/computers still hold all my personal information incl. bank and credit card details. I wish to have any and all information held by PayPal removed.

Thank you.

PayPal have a facility where you can both remove cards from your account, and also close the account altogether. Have you contacted them to confirm that this removes your CC details? Maybe it would be easier just to request a new CC from your bank, and you will be given a new CC number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Don't they have to keep your records on file for anti-fraud cases for 2 or 5 years ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

eoin_s wrote:
    PayPal have a facility where you can both remove cards from your account, and also close the account altogether. Have you contacted them to confirm that this removes your CC details? Maybe it would be easier just to request a new CC from your bank, and you will be given a new CC number.

You can remove your bank account details from your PayPal account, however the information still remainds on the PayPal servers and computers. It is not permanently deleted.

In addition, in order to close your account you must be verified by PayPal, in order to be verified you must have an active credit card, if you try to remove your credit card from your PayPal account your account will be "limited" and as such you will not be able to use your PayPal account nor remove any information.

It's a catch 22, the only way to be free from PayPal is to cancel any credits cards linked to your PayPal and close any bank accounts also. My issue is i am now free from PayPal...yet they are holding hostage very private information about me on their servers.

This includes bank/CC details, address info and contact numbers in addition to faxed documents i sent into them....i wish to get all this back and have the info they are holding on me deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

They're a financial institution. Yes, they're c*nts, but in order to comply with the law they HAVE to hold your details for X amount of years, just as any bank must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote:
    They're a financial institution. Yes, they're c*nts, but in order to comply with the law they HAVE to hold your details for X amount of years, just as any bank must.

Do i not have rights under the data protection act of 1998/2003?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Do i not have rights under the data protection act of 1998/2003?

They would be Irish/European laws wouldn't they?
    Where is your data held?

A big server in Guantanamo Bay probably.:rolleyes:

This is it see, i signed up through www.paypal.ie
    Yet they claim on the user agreement the information is held on servers in the US?

Now how was i supposed to know this?, how can they do this?...when you sign up from an IRISH website you expect to be protected under IRISH law.

And under the US Patriot Act you sign away god knows what!!?!

I thought the Data Protection Act was to allow you to get access to what information they have about you, not give you the right to request that they delete all information?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

This is it see, i signed up through www.paypal.ie
    Yet they claim on the user agreement the information is held on servers in the US?

Now how was i supposed to know this?, how can they do this?...when you sign up from an IRISH website you expect to be protected under IRISH law.
    You're supposed to know this because they told you in the user agreement which you agreed to ?

Listen, how many people actually read user agreements?, might not be a defence but it is a reality. I have read it now and if i knew what i know now i would never have signed up to PayPal.

Listen, how many people actually read user agreements?, might not be a defence but it is a reality. I have read it now and if i knew what i know now i would never have signed up to PayPal.

I know what you mean (about the user agreement), but I wouldn't expect what is effectively a financial institution to remove all my details on request - otherwise credit histories etc could just be removed at will.

PayPal is not a bank, i'm not sure they even qualify for the term "financial institution".

PayPal is not a bank, i'm not sure they even qualify for the term "financial institution".

Not too sure of what the distinction is but from their site:
    PayPal (Europe) Ltd. is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the United Kingdom as an electronic money institution.

Fair enough, but they are not a bank otherwise the law governing them would be alot more strict.

Fair enough, but they are not a bank otherwise the law governing them would be alot more strict.

I didn't call them a bank, I said they are "effectively a financial institution". It's all semantics anyhow.

Unless it's a pain in the arse, sounds like getting a new CC is the only way to remove some of the personal details...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Well lets paraphrase you from the thread on UPS couriers where you showed no sympathy

"To be fair, you should have read the agreement, Fact you agreed to it and did not read it is not an excuse. "

What way would business be if everyone could just say " ah sure I never read that so it doesn't apply to me" but yet Paypal can't use a similar defence "ah sure we never read them data protection act things"

I said nothing of the sort on the UPS thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054914350

Show me where i said ANY of what you have stated above Parsi?

• Advertisement

I said nothing of the sort on the UPS thread.

Oh Lord. I said "paraphrase" and I replaced your words of no sympathy with my words of no sympathy and put them in bold so that they would be obvious...

I'll parpahrase it even more - you told yer man he should have been there before nine and he wasnt so tough luck. I'm saying you should have read the agreement you agreed to but you didn't so tough luck.

The PayPal issue is very different to that of UPS, UPS attempted delivery twice and the guy was not present. PayPal is to do with privacy, security and the rights you sign away.

It's like night and day.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054914350

Show me where i said ANY of what you have stated above Parsi?

Here ya go

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51172602&postcount=3
    To be fair, you should have been available to accept the package, they tried twice and you were not there. Fact they called at 8.55 and you arrived at work @ 9.00 is not an excuse.

You should be available.

Now look very carefully and you will see the phrase "to be fair you should have". Now keep looking and you'll see "Fact" and looking again you'll see "..is not an excuse".

So you can see I replaced the UPS specific bits about delivery with PayPal specific bits about not reading the agreement and then whinging when it was applied.

See what I did now ?

The PayPal issue is very different to that of UPS, UPS attempted delivery twice and the guy was not present. PayPal is to do with privacy, security and the rights you sign away.

It's like night and day.

If we all read agreements when they were signed in the same fashion we read them when we've problems then a lot of problems mightn't arise (or they might..)

parsi wrote:
    Here ya go

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51172602&postcount=3

Now look very carefully and you will see the phrase "to be fair you should have". Now keep looking and you'll see "Fact" and looking again you'll see "..is not an excuse".

So you can see I replaced the UPS specific bits about delivery with PayPal specific bits about not reading the agreement and then whinging when it was applied.

See what I did now ?

Sorry Parsi, it's not a reasonable parallel of comparison to make.

Yeah you're right. It's not a reasonable comparison.

So you didn't read the terms & conditions and now they've got you by the whatyoumacallems. Tough really innit ?

Paypal are a monopolistic shower of muppets and we are all happy to use them until they pee us off. Problem is the day may come when they've peed off too many people...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Can we keep this thread on PayPal please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Thank you.

Under the DP Act 1988 the regs stipulate that they can only hold information for as long as is required, the act frowns upon organisations that retain info on the "Just in case" rule. Holding your bank details is not requisite information, they may be obliged to keep your raw transaction history but they dont need to keep these details to such an extent.Send in a 'subject access request' to Paypal Ireland, they have 20 working days to acknowledge and 40 days to furnish the info, they cant charge you more than €6.35 for this.

Thanks Sizz, i'll do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

ok ... I'll bite :D

Richard - what do you think Paypal (or rather eBay) will do with this information ?

Advertisement