Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2002/3 Hyundai Coupe

Options
  • 05-04-2006 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I have some SSIA money coming to me soon, and I'm thinking of getting rid of my little '00 Fiesta and moving up to an 02/03 Hyundai Coupe 1.6. I really love the look of these cars (wasn't keen on the old model at all), and am getting reasonable comprehensive insurance quotes for the 1.6.
    I know the 1.6 engine has a reputation for being underpowered and the rear legroom is crap, but that doesn't really bother me as i very rarely ever have any more than 1 passenger.

Anyone have any tips? What should I look out for if/when I go to view used Coupes? Is there anything inherently bad about these cars I should know about? What about things like timing belt changes, etc - what mileage should this work be done at? I've heard they're very reliable.

Also, with regard to the whole SSIA thing do you think the stealers are going to jack up prices as soon as people start getting their money? i.e. Should I get a loan and buy sooner, then pay it off when the SSIA cash arrives?

I reckon I should be easily able to get 4-4.5k for the Fiesta (its a 1.25 litre Zetec, 00 reg in very good condition, 71k miles, new exhaust, NCT till march 2008). Very spartan on the inside though! Manual windows, crap Ford radio/tape deck, although I might leave my mp3-cd player in it, driver-only airbag, no abs or other electronic toys.
    That said, people on Carzone are looking for mental prices for pretty much the same car.

Any advice appreciated. Those with hairdresser car comments can shove 'em ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Parkers has become the first site I check when looking at new cars, here's their review of the car:
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/carreviews/review.aspx?model_id=344

Like you said yourself, the 1.6 engine is considered pretty under-powered. Hyundais' are generally known for their good reliability, and from what I remember the coupe has a pretty good resale value. Still, there are probably a load of other 1.6 litre engines out there that would have as good if not better performance for that kind of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No known problems. It's not a particularly good drivers' car but if you love the looks and that's what matters to you, then go for it
    honestjohn wrote:
    until a more knowledgeable neighbour puts them right, at least one person on your street will think you’ve won the Lotto and bought yourself a Ferrari
    :D
    Stephen wrote:
    I reckon I should be easily able to get 4-4.5k for the Fiesta (its a 1.25 litre Zetec, 00 reg in very good condition, 71k miles, new exhaust, NCT till march 2008)

You'll only get that off against the advertised price of the second hand Hyundai. I'd advise you to sell the Fiesta privately if you can. It should be easy enough to sell and you'll have hard cash to negotiate about the Hyundai

Did I mention haird<EDIT>?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Just noticed this part from the parker's review:
    It may look like a Ferrari, but the badge is rather more humble and as such it's value will plummet. Fuel costs aren't bad. If costs are a real issue, then the 1.6 is light on fuel and insurance .

Don't know if that has been the case over here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That's the plan alright :)
    The only problem with selling privately is that i can't afford to be without a car for any period (for work), so I'll have to buy the new car before selling the fiesta, meaning i'll have to borrow more. I reckon it would probably still work out cheaper than trade-in with a dealer though.

Speaking of neighbours, one rich (insurance broker) bastard down the road is after buying a 2002 Maserati coupe. ****er. Must get a photo of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ek942

Not a bad looking car,but i've heard that the handling is poor.In fact the exact words were "like trying to drive a dead fish on ice".No, I'd never heard that one before either,but if you're into the looks go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Pain in the arse to park, it has a bigger turning circle than the Santa Fee. Whos gives a damn cool car sign me up. Source a 2.0l from the UK dirt cheap and more fun and then check out the performance mods on the owners UK website theres loads.

Theres a beast waiting under the 2.0L hood waiting to be set free. Spoil yourself.

I'd like a 2 litre, but insurance companies won't quote me on anything over 1.6.

bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

only things to look our for is the keys dropping the immobiliser code, squeaks and rattles in the interior, broken window regulators, and attempted break-ins (some people will do anything for a €50 Pioneer stereo!)

does the stereo have a removable face/screen thingy? Funnily enough nobody's ever tried to rob the crap ford head unit or aldi cd player that replaced it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I thought most stereos were 'built-in' to the dash theses days & stereo-robbin' was a thing of the past...

Hyundais have a good reputation for reliability but not as drivers' cars. I hired a Lantra a few years ago in Spain. It was dreadful - wallowy suspension, dead-slow, gearbox like a Massey Ferguson... Kinda put me off them.

I don't mean to have a go about the hairdresser thing but I always assumed buyers of such cars were completely ignorant to the image connotations? I mean why buy an 'image' car when the image is dubious?

They are a nice-lookin car (poor man's Ferrari 456?). It's kindof a noughties Capri. The Capri was never a hairdressers' car tho'. i guess in those days only hairy-arsed men could afford 'sports' cars (?)

• Advertisement

the Coupe still uses aftermarket stereos, they had an interesting solution to people robbing the shiny Pioneer stereos. they replaced them with Delphi Grundig "Challenge" stereos. A stereo so bad that nobody in their right mind would go near it. the only radio I've ever seen with only 4 presets, and woeful sound quality, it doesn't even match the rest of the dash (LED display dfferent colour!)

strange that in other markets Hyundai have fairly impressive looking built in stereos

As for it being a hairdressers car....

Is a Lancer 1.3 with an Evo bodykit a hairdressers car? a car that looks like it goes fast but doesn't. the Coupe is a great looking car.

pburns wrote:
    They are a nice-lookin car (poor man's Ferrari 456?). It's kindof a noughties Capri. The Capri was never a hairdressers' car tho'. i guess in those days only hairy-arsed men could afford 'sports' cars (?)

I wouldn't call these 'sports' cars as they don't perform like sports cars. A Skyline GT-R... now that's a sports car!

Has anyone any experience with Irish Hyundai dealers? Any to stay away from, any particularly good etc?

Was just on the phone to a local Hyundai main dealer. He's offering me a red 2002 1.6 Coupe fx with 56000 miles, 4 new tyres & new timing belt and 12 month warranty for about 12-12.5k trade in for my Fiesta.
    I'll be going for a look at it in the flesh in a few days, and to give him a look at my fiesta.

What do ye think?

Buy and sell privately, and you'd get a '04 for only a couple of hundred more like this. You'll have saved yourself a tidy sum by the time you change cars again

If you check it out thoroughly, you don't really need a warranty on a 2 year old car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭colincarnate

i'm afraid those Coupe lads are a bit girly - fair play though sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ek942

For that money you could get a really sweet type r teg or something and insure it for a couple of years.Don't do it.

None of the insurance companies will quote me on anything over 1.6, most likely because I'm 23. Anything with vtec or turbo or any other interesting letters after its name is a big no-no.

Just made a deal this morning after a second test drive.

Red '02 Coupe fx 1.6, 56000 miles with new timing belt and 4 brand new tyres (i can still see the colour bands on them) for 11,500 plus my 2000 Fiesta with 72000 miles. This comes with a 12 month warranty and full NCT.

What's more, Quinn direct are only charging me an extra 130 euros to go from TP&T on the fiesta to fully comp on the Coupe for the remainder of my policy (just over 10 months). Considering they were looking for about 400 euros extra to go fully comp on the fiesta this strikes me as a bargain :)

Best of luck with your new motor :)

Cheers.

I will be taking delivery of it Wednesday or Thursday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Hey Stephen, congrats on the new motor!

I'm looking to buy a '02/'03 Coupe in the next week or two myself. Any tips. Where did you buy yours? Does the garage have any more of that year/model (also must be 1.6L due to greedy insurance companies :D ).

Got mine at Michael Lyng Motors in Kilkenny. They don't have any others in stock as far as I know (Well, they have an '06 one...). Your profile says you are in Dublin, you should have no problem finding one there. Have a look on carzone.ie and cbg.ie.

Just saw yours on Carzone. Nice!

My problem is it's impossible to find time to get to the garages without having to take time off work. They're all closed by the time I finish in the evening and most only open for an hour or two on a Saturday.

Also, I'm on the northside and at the moment all the Coupe's seem to be southside. Murphy's Law :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Just Traded my coupe into Tom Dale's in Waterford 03 With 20K miles a week and a half ago. bought a new 06 2.0l Sonata

woohoo, just got a call for the dealer. It'll be ready Wednesday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Just saw yours on Carzone. Nice!

My problem is it's impossible to find time to get to the garages without having to take time off work. They're all closed by the time I finish in the evening and most only open for an hour or two on a Saturday.

Also, I'm on the northside and at the moment all the Coupe's seem to be southside. Murphy's Law :D
    Fairview Motors - def open Sat mornings

Picked up the coupe after work today... I love it :)

Just put a deposit on a 2002 Coupe, 1.6L, silver, 26k miles. €16,400 straight cash sale. I'm thinking that's a little pricey maybe but they seem to be selling very fast. I've already missed out on 4 others by buying too late.

17" alloys on it, with four new low-profile tyres also.

Bards wrote:
    Just Traded my coupe into Tom Dale's in Waterford 03 With 20K miles a week and a half ago. bought a new 06 2.0l Sonata

What's the 2.0 like to drive, only ever driven the 2.4?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Anyone for a 05 Hyundai Coupe 1.6 FX? I'll trade.:)

Advertisement