Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cloning Help

• 05-04-2006 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

I am looking for some advice regarding cloning drives. What I would like to do is the following:

Install the OS, updates, drives etc and then make an image and store it on a DVD.
    Restore from DVD when *problems* occur.

I have used some free applications such as DrvImagerXP to do this and it has worked but I am having problems with it. Problems such as compression, it does not seem to work (crashing / hanging). And say for example its a 80GB disk I am trying to image I will never get it on a DVD even though the OS is only using about 2.5GB of space. The image is the full 80GB.

I have several PC's and would like to have one PC where I just connect the HDD and image it, and the place it back in the machine, I dont want to have to install the software on each machine. I am looking for a product that can do the above.

I am looking at Norton Ghost 10 and Acronis True Image 9.0, any advice on these products? Is there a freeware product that I've missed? Am I using DrvImagerXP coorrectly!?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

not quite what you want but have a look at a slipstream install or BartPE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭h0stn0tf0und

@ Capt'n

This is what i have been doing:
    Install the OS, applications etc...
    Boot from a UBCD4Win CD, run DrvImagerXP and image the drive over a network or to an external drive. I then have an image of my new install.

However, say for example I install on a 20GB disk then the image DrvImagerXP creates is the full size of the disk, it images the free space. Even at 20gb I would need a hell of a lot of space to create images and they wont fit on optical media. On average the space taken up by my install is about 3.5 gigs, the rest of the 20 is free space. I would assume compression is the solution but I have never been able to get DrvImager to do this successfully.

Am I correct in assuming the following:
    Example: 80gb disk / ~ 77gb Free
    OS / apps install: 3gb
    Image created by Norton Ghost: ~3gb

When image is applied to the disk it *fills* out to the size of the disk?

I am new to imaging so apologies for any confusing questions.

Advertisement