Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you still get broadband if eircom havent updated your exchange?

• 05-04-2006 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Eircom havent updatedthe exchange in royal canal park (note: 4 miles from dublin city centre)

:rolleyes:

Was wondering if I could avail of another ISP through the phone line even though eircom say the line is not suitable.

Wireless not available in area either, nor is NTL etc etc.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Maybe digiweb metro will work if you have line of sight towards Finglas otherwise nothing will I'll wager .

When did Eircom say they would do your exchange ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Ahh, eircom - i dont know where to start..

To put in simply;

After weeks on being transferred from one agent to another and being hung up on randomly we finally got through to an agent who was reasonable, they said that because the phone wires and everything were already installed that we wouldnt need to pay a connection fee to get the phone.

We only wanted the phone to get the broadband and they told us everything would be fine and once the phone was up and running then we could order the broadband.

Ended up ringing back on friday (the day that they were eliminating connection fees) only to be told that they needed to send an engineer out to do some work externally to wire up the phone (which was already wired up) and it was going to cost 100 euros. Shocked at this but with no option but to pay (as broadband was needed for work etc) we decided to go ahead with it.

Within a few days we had the phone line working and were using dial up as a temporary solution, we rang eircom who said that the exchange wasnt updated in our area but to ring back at the end of feburary / start of march as they were updating them.

Tried again and still nothing, even checked the website yesterday to test it myself and it said that the line is not suitable.

So we are stuck with a phone but no eircom broadband and I was wondering if eircoms incompetitence would mean that we also dont have access to other ISPs such as smart or b.t.

I'd say you are on a new sub exchange which does not have the capacity for DSL because its only a metal box on a street corner so check your exchange name according to the Smart Telecom line checker and then ring Eircom to COMFIRM you are on that exchange .

What eircom sez is gospel of course .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I'd say you are on a new sub exchange which does not have the capacity for DSL because its only a metal box on a street corner so check your exchange name according to the Smart Telecom line checker and then ring Eircom to COMFIRM you are on that exchange .

Yes, great job Eircom, there are like a couple thousand new apartments being built in the area, less then 4 miles from O'Connell St and Eircom haven't BB enabled it. :mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Naked Lepper, you should read the last few posts of the following thread and fight to get NTL into RCP, at least you will have some sort of decent TV service and maybe a chance of getting great BB from them:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054912247

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I would call up and rip somebody's head off if I had gone through the hassle and expense of ordering a line to specifically get broadband and to be specifically told I can have it, to find that the exchange is not enabled.

I'm also very surprised bordering on sceptical that a city centre exchange is not enabled. Tell us the name of it when you get it off Smart's web site, please.

Blaster99 wrote:
    I'm also very surprised bordering on sceptical that a city centre exchange is not enabled. Tell us the name of it when you get it off Smart's web site, please.

It is the Pelletstown exchange, a colleague of mine is living there and has exactly the same problem, no BB.

BTW Does anyone know where is the list of DSL enabled exchanges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sponge bob memorises them every night.

If Eircom hasn't enabled the exchange it is nearly impossible to get BB on phone line. Wireless may be possible. Two way Satellite is horrendusly expensive, but feasible for big email and file transfer. Web page clicks can be up to 2 seconds though... and gaming next to impossible.

bk wrote:
    BTW Does anyone know where is the list of DSL enabled exchanges?

http://mmm.eircom.ie/maps/default.asp

Click on the county to see the list. It looks up to date to me.

watty wrote:
    If Eircom hasn't enabled the exchange it is nearly impossible to get BB on phone line. Wireless may be possible. Two way Satellite is horrendusly expensive, but feasible for big email and file transfer. Web page clicks can be up to 2 seconds though... and gaming next to impossible.

Unfortunately neither are options for people in these new developments as they are mostly apartments and the management companies at least claim your not allowed to put up dishes and most people don't know any better.

• Advertisement

bk wrote:
    It is the Pelletstown exchange
    The Pelletstown exchange has no DSL nor is it on the build list if you ring 1800503303 and ask them. As I said it could be a tin box on a street corner with no room inside and no power.

2007 .......maybe .

Ripwave? (I'm going to hide now)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

Pelletstown is on a planned deployment list for May 2006. They are usually very accurate. I have no fixed date yet.

Shamrogue

Shamrogue wrote:
    Pelletstown is on a planned deployment list for May 2006. They are usually very accurate.

You mean like the Spiddal exchange in Galway was on 'a planned deployment list' for March 2006 according to my mate out there :D . Can you accurately say when that will go live ????

If you ring 1800503303 they say its not on 'their list' but not every exchange is .

Tell your mate Spiddal is due to go live on the 26th of this month.

Shamrogue

Ta Very Shamrogue , how many more 'to be done' in that current program ???? I make it c 40 .

any added to the build program this year so far , even if only a few .

Recently opened

Achill Sound AHS (Launched 04/04/06)
    Annagry AGY (Launched 04/04/06)
    Ardara ADA (Launched 04/04/06)
    Ballygarret BGT (Launched 04/04/06)
    Ballyhaunis BHN (Launched 04/04/06)
    Ballyjamesduff BJD (Launched 04/04/06)
    Bansha BSA (Launched 04/04/06)
    Beaufort BFT (Launched 04/04/06)
    Bennettsbridge BTB (Launched 04/04/06)
    Bunnacurry BUY (Launched 04/04/06)
    Castlebellingham CBM (Launched 04/04/06)
    Castletownbere CTB (Launched 04/04/06)
    Clonmany CMY (Launched 04/04/06)
    Durrus DRS (Launched 04/04/06)
    Farranfore FFO (Launched 04/04/06)
    Glenties GTS (Launched 04/04/06)
    Inch INC (Launched 04/04/06)
    Kilbeggan KBN (Launched 04/04/06)
    Killeagh KLH (Launched 04/04/06)
    Kilmacthomas KMT (Launched 04/04/06)
    Kilmeaden KMN (Launched 04/04/06)
    Kiltimagh KTH (Launched 04/04/06)
    Knock KNK (Launched 04/04/06)
    Knockgroghery KRY (Launched 04/04/06)
    Pedler's Cross PSX (Launched 04/04/06)
    Powerscourt PWC (Launched 04/04/06)
    Rosslare Strand RLE (Launched 04/04/06)
    Stradbally SBY (Launched 04/04/06)
    Termonfeckin TFN (Launched 04/04/06)
    Wellington Bridge WTB (Launched 04/04/06)

To open soon
    Annacotty ACY (26/04/06)
    Duncannon DCN (26/04/06)
    Drumshambo DMO (26/04/06)
    Glenamaddy GMY (26/04/06)
    Enniskerry EKY (26/04/06)
    Ballyfarnan BYF (26/04/06)
    Passage East PSG (26/04/06)
    Portlaw PTW (26/04/06)
    Riverstown RIV (26/04/06)
    Spiddal SPL (26/04/06)

Latest Info

Ballinamore BAE (May '06)
    Scarriff SCF (May '06)
    Kilkerrin KEN (May '06)
    Corofin CFN (May '06)
    Pelletstown PLT (May '06)
    Caragh CCH (May '06)
    Ardrew ARW (May '06)

That's all the info I have at the moment.

Shamrogue

Thanks very much again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Any word on the enniskerry exchange, eircom dont seem to know anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Pataman wrote:
    Any word on the enniskerry exchange, eircom dont seem to know anything about it.
    Annacotty ACY (26/04/06)
    Duncannon DCN (26/04/06)
    Drumshambo DMO (26/04/06)
    Glenamaddy GMY (26/04/06)
    Enniskerry EKY (26/04/06)
    Ballyfarnan BYF (26/04/06)
    Passage East PSG (26/04/06)
    Portlaw PTW (26/04/06)
    Riverstown RIV (26/04/06)
    Spiddal SPL (26/04/06)
    The 2 in bold are the only ones from that list that went live on schedule.
    The others probably aren't too far behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Any idea how I find out if is on the way shortly. As I said Eircom dont seem to know. What dept should I be talking to.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

1800503303 should know.

1800503303 are not told anymore because those exchanges were scheduled for end of March then 26th of April and now they will be done when they are done and thats that . They will know afterwards .

All of them have the ADSL rack installed but other issues are holding them up such as a software integration problem that prevents accurate line testing...thats what I heard.

Eirocm may send someone around to test them manually and insert the data into the test database manually so that they can sell product. If you know someone reasonably senior in eircom you can get DSL installed from most of those exchanges today because they can override the line test qualification :p

Advertisement