Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mystery Manholes in back garden

Options
  • 05-04-2006 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Good evening, when I step outside my back door I am greeted by 2 manholes side by side. On lifting, one goes down 6 foot to some channels. The other, right beside it, is almost full with murky liquid. I am living in a semi detached house. Drainage and septic tank? Situation with extending? Are these normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Most likely one is for sewage and the other is a storm drain (for rain water from gutters etc). The sewage will go to the nearest treatment plant and the storm drain will probably go to the nearest river.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Thehopstepper

This is normal enough, in a row of modern semi detached someone will have the main drain such as you have. This is where the waste from a group of house meet and diverts to the main waste system. In terms of extending out the back, you will have to move both of these man holes further down the garden. This is quite a job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Good evening, when I step outside my back door I am greeted by 2 manholes side by side. On lifting, one goes down 6 foot to some channels. The other, right beside it, is almost full with murky liquid. I am living in a semi detached house. Drainage and septic tank? Situation with extending? Are these normal?

be careful of mystery hatches .... he you not seen lost...

Advertisement