Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up an online store

Options
  • 05-04-2006 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,

I was hoping to set up an online facility for our customers to buy our products. I spoke with our bank (AIB) and they advised us to use "RealExPayments.com".

However, I notice there are quite a few charges here and we will only be trading small quantities online for the first year. I know Paypal is another option though there are drawbacks.

Anyone know of any other possibilities?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi,

I was hoping to set up an online facility for our customers to buy our products. I spoke with our bank (AIB) and they advised us to use "RealExPayments.com".

However, I notice there are quite a few charges here and we will only be trading small quantities online for the first year. I know Paypal is another option though there are drawbacks.

Anyone know of any other possibilities?

Thanks

You may get more responses in the webmaster forum. I am in the process of doing something similar, and PayPal is looking like the best option. When you set up a business account, people do not have to sign up to PayPal to buy anything from you, they can just enter their CC details as they would on any other site.

Also, you don't have to worry about shopping carts and all that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

I use Paypal and 2checkout.

2checkout are reliable, honest, and very popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Unless you are making at least several hundred euro per month, consistently, then paypal is your best option. The transaction fees are high, but you only pay when you get paid and it is simple to implement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

indeed if your initially anticiapting a lowish volume of sales then paypal is definitely the way to go as steve says, if you need any help PM me and i'll be more than happy to give you any advice about selling online / developing a store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 misetusa

I'd have to echo that. I use Paypal on my own sites & a couple of my clients.
    Easy to implement, charges are low(ish) and if you don't make a sale you don't pay a penny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Relex are starting to face competition in Ireland with some new service providers. I heard of one the other day, I'll see if I can dig up the name for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ballinasloe

thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

www.worldnettps.com is one started by a friend of mine. It has a very nice Web Merchant and API driven interface that allows you to process credit card sales like Relex. In addition to this you can get SMS Messages whenever you get a sale and a number of other features new to the market.

Definitly worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Vazelothir

there is also a crowd in the UK called protx who are very good, though don't know if they require a uk bank account....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

I would recommend www.2checkout.com

was easy to set up, they pay out every week and have never had a problem.

I didn't go with paypal as i find their payments screens too confusing...as they are encouraging the customer to register and personally I want my customer to do as little work as possible when paying me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

fintan wrote:
    I would recommend www.2checkout.com

was easy to set up, they pay out every week and have never had a problem.

I didn't go with paypal as i find their payments screens too confusing...as they are encouraging the customer to register and personally I want my customer to do as little work as possible when paying me.

I had a look at that site, and it all looked good until:
    Suppliers without a US Bank account can have their payments air mailed at a charge of $4.00 USD per check, or have the option of an international wire payment.

If your currency is included in the list of supported currencies below then you can choose to receive the wire in your local currency at a fee of $5.00 per transfer or you can choose to receive the wire in US Dollars at a fee of $20.00 per transfer.

On top of the quite high 5.5% commission, this begins to add up for people who don't have a large volume of sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Hi Eoin S

5.5% is not that high, paypal for low transactions is 2.9% A difference of €2.60 per €100 sold

I sell in euros so my wire transfer costs $5 which is cheaper than what my bank would charge me.

People have enough problems paying by credit card on the internet, without throwing more barriers as presented by paypal in the way. Which is why 2checkout works for me, other people may have different needs.

Advertisement