Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Company Cars - the deal

Options
  • 05-04-2006 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

What's the usual deal with company cars? Are they on a set lease term or can the company return them at any time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

magpie wrote:
    What's the usual deal with company cars? Are they on a set lease term or can the company return them at any time?

Our company has them for a fixed term.
    If the employee leaves, the car either gets passed onto their replacement, or sits idle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Crap. What's the fixed term? I want to switch to a more tax efficient 'car allowance'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

depends on the company. Mine is three years but the last company I worked for had them for four years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Urgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Whats the lease company? I know if you go over a certain amount of miles the car has to be changed too. 120000 with Allied Arval

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

magpie wrote:
    I want to switch to a more tax efficient 'car allowance'

The most tax efficient if you do enough miles is to keep your own car and pay for all costs. The company can then reimburse you per mile which is tax-free under certain conditions* (discussed here a few weeks ago - do a search)

In practice, the aim is that you get more than the car costs you, so you drive for free, courtesy of your employer :)

*This doesn't work for driving to and from work, amongst other conditions

Advertisement