Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A few car-van questions

Options
  • 05-04-2006 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just a few questions about a car-van (not a caravan).

Is it much cheaper to buy a car-van than a normal car?
    Is it cheaper insurance wise?
    Is there anywhere around Dublin that does good deals on car-vans?

Also, is there a "good make" and a "bad make" of car-vans?

Oh, and what to look for, if buying one? Is there any part that usually get trashed?

I'm only on my provisional @ the moment, but this will be the car that I'd be looking at, as the insurance is meant to be cheaper.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some insurance companies refuse to insure these unless you are using it commercially.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Many years ago alot of people went out and bought Ford Fiesta Flair vans or Renault 19 vans as they were cheaper to buy and insure than the normal car versions. They then fitted DIY back seats in them so they could carry people in the rear. Insurance companies then coped on to this and loaded your insurance unless you could prove it was used for commercial use only. The seats in the back became illegal for obviouse safety reasons afaik.

Also these days these car vans are almost as expensive as the cars on which they are based. So unless you own a company and are registered for VAT it cannot be claimed back on the purchase price, so the savings are almost zero. Insurance companies these days will load your premium on these type vans unless it is a proven commercial vehicle with a commercial vehicle insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Balls. Thanks lads. It seems I'll have to buy some piece of trash to drive around, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bazz26 wrote:
    Many years ago alot of people went out and bought Ford Fiesta Flair vans or Renault 19 vans as they were cheaper to buy and insure than the normal car.

jaysus remember 1991, half the country was driving around in red Fiesta flair vans with 3 spoke alloys!

Its the R 19s that I remember most, thought about buying one myself!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

oh the Supervan? lots of peeps bought the Megavan (Megane) too, those were the days!

Thats the one they looked quite cool (shocked I just typed that!) with the spoiler.

Renault 19 on ebay...erm

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Those Supervans took some punishment and the drivers foot was always flat to the floor. Along with the Pug 205 XRAD, they were the fastest vehicles on Irish roads in the late 80s/early 90s :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It never ceases to amaze me what you can buy on ebay these days and only £125.:)
    I wonder what the VRT is on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

The berlingos/Transit Connects are still great value for money if you need a van. About €13k new!

There is no saving much anymore on buying a car van i.e. like a Corolla/Golf/Focus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FunkyDa

I'm driving a Pug Partner for the last 7 years. It has the handling and comfort qualities of a regular car. It has huge interior space. I have a storage locker/bed built into mine, and have gone camping in it. It is insured as a commercial(though, I've never used it commercially). Along with other vehicle insurance, van insurance has reduced somewhat, in the last year, or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭richardson2525

one of my first cars was a carvan. it was a nissan sunny converted. insurance was about a third cheaper, and I had it taxed and insured as a vehicle for private use. this was only 2 years ago, and i'm getting my little brother sorted out on this car now (he's 19 prov licence, no experience, yet). If you are to buy a second hand car they are cheap. It will save you money -whatever you do dont be tempted to carry people in the back though. You can see the difference yoursef in quotes between a standard car and a carvan of the same type on www.quinn-direct.com

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

mike65 wrote:
    Thats the one they looked quite cool (shocked I just typed that!) with the spoiler.

Renault 19 on ebay...erm

Mike.

Now thats a car id love to ride. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Mine is/was a Fiat Scudo 1.9 and found it great. Saves mucking up the boot & back seats. With the added advantage of a third seat in the front. Quin insurances covered a reasonably priced private policy on it. I guess another advantage is that it doesn't require an NCT if taxed and insured private. Oh yeh it's for sale at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭JohnnySideburns

Car Vans are generally cheaper to insure. Personal Injury is the most expensive part of insurance claims and since a car van only has capacity for one passenger and not four, the personal injury claim potential is lower. BUT BE WARNED, if you carry passengers in the back of your car van and have a crash, you are personally liable for any injury caused to them and not your insurer, (if you paralyse someone who you let sit in the back, they're only option is to sue you and not your insurer). (Assuming you're based in the Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland)

Advertisement