Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

help after acccident

Options
  • 05-04-2006 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

hey,

today i was in an accident, totally the other persons fault, (came out in front of me at a junction) and they admit that but im worried that the insurance company will just write mine off, as its my mothers car and i doubt if we can afford another one. its a 96 polo with just over 100k on it but it runs perfectly and never misses a beat.

the damage to it is:

new front lights, both
    bumper
    the underskirt bumber
    bonnet
    raditor is a bit pushed back but the engine seems fine

that seems to be the only faults with it, steering is fine, engine ok etc.

could any of ye give me an indication as to how much it would cost to fix as id hate to lose the car if the insurance company wanted to write it off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

It's not your insurance that will be paying for it, it's the other guys, did you call the police or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

yep the guards were called but the only car they had was away :rolleyes: so both parties went to the station, went through the story again with him and again she admitted guilt.

im just worried because ive heard stories that her company may write it off would be a bit ****ty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As I undersand it a car can be "written off" but then put back on the road with the use of the insurance cash.

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The fact that she admitted guilt at the scene does not mean that her insurance company will accept liability!
    the damage doesn't soubd too bad but given the age and the fact that there may be chassis damage you won't know for sure until an engineer looks at it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

From what I've heard;

The insurance company which accepts liability will have the car valued by one of their guys. He will decide if the cost of repairs is more than the market value of the car (just before the accident). If they're more, the insurance company will offer you a certain amount of money. You'll be given the option to allow the insurance company look after scrappage, or you can look after scrappage yourself.

In the latter case, the insurance company will subtract from the settled amount, the offer that the garage gives you for scrappage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you'd be as well off if they did write it off, then you could get another car instead of a damage repaired one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Its a tough one alright, considering the age of the car and the damage you've described I'd say the insurance will write the car off. Unfortunately you won't get a true value of your car from the insurance company so finding a replacement car won't be easy at the money you'll get. Your only hope is to get a panel beater to fix your car with secondhand or spurious parts(replica parts available from most motor factors) It shouldn't work out too expensive if you go to a smaller panel beater who won't charge as much as a big operation in a city and provided you don't have chassis damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm presuming the insured value of the car is around €1,500

value of car as-is is around €300,

could well be written off.

Advertisement