Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conan?!?!! CNBC!?!

• 05-04-2006 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

Conan...!?!

Conan...!?!?!?!

CONAN?!?!?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

With no ceremony or announcement, CNBC has now been swiped off of NTL in place of Living TV.

While Living TV is probably a better all-round channel, CNBC had one must-watch show for me (see above)... so I'm pretty damn annoyed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

That's a shame; I never caught Conan religiously but if I ever stumbled across it I always ended up watching it.

Ah, look on the bright side, his shows are so packed with goodness they always end up on youtube or google video anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

Living TV?

The women are taking over.
    I told you it was going to happen but you wouldn't listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

On the plus side we don't ever have to stumble across Jay Leno anymore. Man that guy sucks (and I'm talking like beyond RTE-sucks here).

That said tho I wouldn't want to miss the heraldic ep with Patrick Duffy and Joey Lawrence when it eventually comes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 orange247

Its a load of bollocks. They told us for weeks that Channel6 was arriving but then sneakly remove CNBC, they are utter c**ts. I for one will be withholding payment until the situation is resolved. I think we should start a petition!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

orange247 wrote:
    Its a load of bollocks. They told us for weeks that Channel6 was arriving but then sneakly remove CNBC, they are utter c**ts. I for one will be withholding payment until the situation is resolved. I think we should start a petition!

i think so too... was really enjoying the late night poker over the last few weeks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yeah lets do that! We can demand that TV3 gets dropped too as a sweetener.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

NoelRock wrote:
    Conan...!?!

Conan...!?!?!?!

CONAN?!?!?!

Yes?

Oh, I'm sorry. It's not every day I see my name shouted randomly on the internet.

Is this for basic cable as well?

Actually, never mind.. I'll just turn on my tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

orange247 wrote:
    Haha, good luck with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

The problem I find with NTL is that they treat their customers with complete disrepect when it comes to the basic cable TV package. They have been in a monopoly position ever since they were set-up by Telecom Eireann and RTE (yes, as Cablelink) and bad practice is embedded within them.

They decide to do what they like and customers dont have a vote. The Government are the ones to lobby because they have allowed NTL to have a cable monoploy in many areas, such as in Dublin. There is no competition and in fact this is illegal but is being allowed to happen as NTL promised to invest and roll-out broadband. They have done the latter late and reluctantly.

A very poor situation all round. Dropping CNBC is a symptom of this underlying root cause, lack of cable TV competition, because as a consumer, you do NOT have the choice to switch to another cable provider who has the basic package that includes CNBC !

It was the same story with TV5 and Eurosport.

By the way, NTL have anough cable capacity to easily carry an additional 30 channels, yet they are not doing so. In many countries, the basic cable TV package consists of around 50 channels (Chinese TV, Arabian, Al Jazeera anyone?) and at a lower price point (15 euro a month). NTL are ripping us off, are a part of Rip-Off Ireland, and this position is fully supported by the Government.

Lobby your TD ... write letters to newspapers, etc.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pigman II wrote:
    Yeah lets do that! We can demand that TV3 gets dropped too as a sweetener.
    Surely you mean UTV2

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

Don't find Conan funny, tbh. Anytime I've seen it I thought his jokes were stupid, and not even funny stupid (if you know what I mean).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

There may be no Conan, but I'm pretty sure "6ixth Sense with Colin Fry" will make up for it no end.

How's this for a programme description:
    " 6ixth Sense with Colin Fry

One of Britain's most successful spiritualist mediums, Colin Fry, presents the series in which he attempts to make contact with the other side. An expectant studio audience has no idea whose loved ones will make contact and the results are surprising and often moving. "

****ing Stellar!!!!!!

Hopefully some Clinton Baptiste style " I'm getting the name ....... Mary ... are there any Mary's in the room?"

Yeah, apparently its still CNBC for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I do find conan repitiveness annoying sometimes but i was really diasppointed to see CNBC going, I like watching the sunday US political shows too.

where are you bonneyarseman that you still have it?

wasn't there surprisely huge petition when CNC europe stopped showing Leno and Conan and they put it back on...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

Whatever the fwck about Conan (which i enjoyed), i really liked watchin CNBC for market commentary and such. Am pretty pissed about this.

the sooner i can afford sky the better!

Why would i watch America's Next Top Model when the birds are pretty skank? - and they are

Give me MAd Money with Jim what's his name anyday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

ixus wrote:
    the sooner i can afford sky the better!

you dont need Sky to watch CNBC. spend a hundred quid on a FTA satellite system and you can watch it for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

I think the whole point of changing stations like that is to get people hooked on watching one channel and then when ratings start going up for that channel, switch to a different one. Forcing people to switch to digital basically. They used to do this with the evening channel that comes on to Nickelodeon. At the moment it's Paramount, for a while it was a music channel wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Paramount and TMF (music channel) are both owned by Viacom. they cannot change channels at a whim. there is surely contracts that they cannot break. the changing of CNBC to Living was sneaky in that they gave 0 warning beforehand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Wasnt CNBC just moved to another freq? MTV was when channel 6 launched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

oxygen wrote:
    Wasnt CNBC just moved to another freq? MTV was when channel 6 launched

No :( gone to digital. I literally haven't watched livingtv once since it came on. Wall-to-wall femmy ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭ConansGal

I want to know what the hell is going on! I feel physically ill!! I have not missed a single episode of Late Night in about 3 years now and I switched on the tv 2 days ago to watch it and it was just gone!!! There was no warning at all! This is the most sneaky and underhanded thing that NTL has ever done! How dare they just pull the channel like that! It's obvious they're just trying to force people to but their didgital service especially since they are now showing a notice on the new channel (which I refuse point blank to watch) saying that CNBC Europe is available only to digital subscribers.
    Does anyone have an email address for NTL? I cant afford to pay whatever extra they want me to just so I can watch one program but if I cant find another way to watch it that is what I may well end up doing!
    This is completely unfair! How dare NTL do this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

cg you shold write to conan!

Advertisement