Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lap of luxury: Irish choose to spend well

Options
  • 05-04-2006 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nearly 200 cars of over €127,000 were bought in the first quarter of this year. That's more than the total of the whole of last year!

Article

G'luck to all the new owners! One of those cars is mine by 2013 :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Filthy rich b'stards! Of course the banks actually own that metal right now.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mike65 wrote:
    Filthy rich b'stards! Of course the banks actually own that metal right now.

Mike.

I doubt it. That kind of money is peanuts to many of the people buying those cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

unkel wrote:
    Nearly 200 cars of over €127,000 were bought in the first quarter of this year. That's more than the total of the whole of last year!

Article

That's alot of money for lump of metal, plastic, and rubber. Waste if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

unkel wrote:
    Ah, the good ol' punt lives on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

most cars over €127,000 will be bought in Jan and Feb anyway. so it's not that sensational.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    most cars over €127,000 will be bought in Jan and Feb anyway. so it's not that sensational.

I'd be interested to know whether it works that way for such expensive cars. I can't imagine depreciation being a big worry for these people.

any massive stuff we sell is usually in Jan or Feb,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i was reading another article and they said there should be a veyron on irish roads the way car sales are going.most people are buying flashy cars nowadays.

drdre wrote:
    i was reading another article and they said there should be a veyron on irish roads the way car sales are going.most people are buying flashy cars nowadays.

Imagine having the misfortune to run into the back of that...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Hmmm, kinda expected the number to be a little higher :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

€31,500,000

Not that much really , Is It !!!!!:eek:

that's like 1,626 Skoda Octavia 1.4 Ambientes

sadly their collective 121,950 bhp and 204876 Nm of torque still isn't a match for the Veyron, and the fact that they could have got a 910,560 litre boot capacity (3 olympic sized swimming pools) probably won't faze potential Veyron buyers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Anan1 wrote:
    I doubt it. That kind of money is peanuts to many of the people buying those cars.

Yeah I reckon very few of them will be financed by carloans
    Alun wrote:
    Ah, the good ol' punt lives on :)

Yeah spotted that. When will "God's money" (as some olders members of my family call it) finally die?

Anan1 wrote:
    Imagine having the misfortune to run into the back of that...

oh my god is all i would say.because your insurance would FLY up.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Anan1 wrote:
    I'd be interested to know whether it works that way for such expensive cars. I can't imagine depreciation being a big worry for these people.

Number plate snobbery would be the big issue for them.

John R wrote:
    Number plate snobbery would be the big issue for them.

Sure thing. That only applies to the year though no matter what month the car was bought

I reckon the vast majority of €127,000+ cars bought this year will change owner before they are two years old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Its about time we caught up with the rest of the world, God knows we're being repressed at every turn when you consider the high taxes connected with everything automotive. I for one feel that we deserve to own decent cars at a realistic price when you consider how hard some of us have to work. Between the Government and the green party they would have us all riding around on bikes and donkeys if they got their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

drdre wrote:

Imagine the premium on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

unkel wrote:

Article

It would be interesting to profile the "owners", whomever they are.

I would hazard a guess that these €63K cars being sold for €127 are relatively cheaper to their respective owners than your $20K ($10K) Corolla is to you.

lets, see. a Corolla is about $20K for a decent one. I see a 2.0L D for €25K and you earn, €50~75K. ½ to 1/3 of your income. not to mention whatever the road tax is for the next 10 years, another 5K perhaps.

Correct me in I'm wrong here.... Make an interesting debate anyway...
    As it is 4+L, the tax is the same as a 3.0L, which is about $14K http://www.finfacts.com/Private/cars/irishmotortax.htm

So how much is one of these execs making.... does it really matter as most of the gain is in the value of the company....which is untaxed, unless it is sold.
    So lets say your company increases in value by $1Mill, $125K represents about 12.5% of you net "earnings" for the year vs your cheap Corolla at 33 to 50% for your average Joe.

Meanwhile who is more likely to have several (tax free or foreign?) properties at pretty good annual appreciation....also tax free, unless sold.

So effectively, the more successful you are the cheaper these "expensive" cars become.... neat trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Filthy rich b'stards! Of course the banks actually own that metal right now
    I doubt it. That kind of money is peanuts to many of the people buying those cars

I don't doubt it at all - I reckon on half of those cars being bought through companies or on some sort of scheme. Ireland does have a good portion of 'Idle Rich', but their numbers don't tend to wain that much and a lot of the new flashness is built on credit of one sort or another, see the sudden wave of 'property developers'. Fair play though.

Even so, there are still plenty of very rich people who just continue to buy 5 series/E class, even though they could afford a lot more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Big increase in the number of Helicopters too. Anyone know the going salary for chopper pilots in Ireland?

Matt

Matt Simis wrote:
    Anyone know the going salary for chopper pilots in Ireland?

Dunno, but you do realise to keep one pilot available 24/7, you need to employ 5 of them full time :)

EDIT: Here you go. The article is exactly 3 years old today

€30k salary seems a bit low though...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Of course, most of these cars are bought under PCP schemes (Personal Contract Plans), where only about 50% of the car is actually paid for, and generally over 36 months, and the future value of the car is guaranteed by the manufacturer. Makes the most expensive car quite affordable!

unkel wrote:
    Dunno, but you do realise to keep one pilot available 24/7, you need to employ 5 of them full time :)

thanks a good aricle and it even names a few people who have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Matt Simis wrote:
    Big increase in the number of Helicopters too. Anyone know the going salary for chopper pilots in Ireland?

Matt

Last time I heard its about 1200euros per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

ned78 wrote:
    Of course, most of these cars are bought under PCP schemes (Personal Contract Plans), where only about 50% of the car is actually paid for, and generally over 36 months, and the future value of the car is guaranteed by the manufacturer. Makes the most expensive car quite affordable!

And if some bint dings her Yaris off your side-panel....?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

unkel wrote:

30k? That cant be right even in 2003, Limo drives get paid more than that with far lower "entry" fees to that profession.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Dunno what chopper pilots earn but it costs about €45k to get a commercial licence, I investigated it as a daydream about two years ago during a career choice crisis! That price could have been a load of crap, but anyone I spoke to said it was pricey

Advertisement