Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Possible problem with my car...

Options
  • 05-04-2006 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

It's a 1993 3 series BMW which I just bought around a week ago. Everything seems fine with it apart from one thing, the steering wheel shakes a little when I brake from about 20-30kph up. Anyone know what this might be? I've had the tracking adjusted and gotten two new front tyres for the car (left one was overworn due to tracking being out) so I don't think it's anything to do with that... I'm hoping it's nothing serious and could just be the fact that it's a relatively old car. Could it be the brake pads or the clutch perhaps? I'm planning on getting the car serviced soon anyway so I'll get it looked at then but in the meantime I'd like to know what the problem is!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Warped discs? If so, you'll need to replace the discs & pads. This shouldn't be too expensive if you get them from somewhere like GSF as opposed to a main dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jack the front end up and spin the wheels, see if they stick at any point. If so blame a slightly warped disc. Chances are a 13 year old car needs some new ones even if replaced at some point in the past.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Cheers guys I might jack the car up later and check it out.

Any idea how much it would cost to replace whatever discs need replacing, on a per disc basis? Also is it an urgent thing or could I wait about 2mths? I'm pretty skint tbh that's why I'm asking.

Ideally you should replace disks and pads as a set ie two disks & 4 pads.

A pair of disks costs about 50 + 10 postage from GSF who can be found at
    01 460 6062

Mike.

That's not so bad actually....

Are they easy to fit or would I need to get a mechanic to do it?

• Advertisement

Well you need to remove the brake calliper/pads and sensors before getting at the disks but if you have a proper toolkit and know what you're doing.

Brakes are important (!) so if not sure leave it to a local mechanic.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Giles wrote:
    I've had the tracking adjusted and gotten two new front tyres for the car
    has it only happened after you replaced the 2 front tyres? If so, I'd check the tyre pressures and get them balanced again.

How is the car when driving? Any vibration?

No it was the same before I got new tyres and got the tracking done. I guess I'll get a mechanic to do it but I'll get the parts myself. The car itself is driving fine. I picked it up off a dude in Blanch and I vaguely remember the steering wheel vibrating slightly as a higher speed. I haven't had a chance to check that again as I'm living in the city.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I agree, most likely discs/pads combo. but it could also be wear in track control arms/balljoints/track rod ends/rack itself.

Advertisement