Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are samplers?

Options
  • 05-04-2006 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

please explain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Amazing what google can do these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Kinda obsolete these days what with computers and all. They're still good for colouring sounds though which is what a lot of people use them for. Lovely 12bit crunchy drums etc. Some people just prefer to use them aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

Some people prefer to use them to prevent computer noise affecting the final sound. They are most at home when being used for studio work. Computers have almost taken over but there are some die hards that absolutely swear by them.

Incidently I have one for sale on boards...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054914395

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

sysconp1 wrote:
    prevent computer noise

What does that mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

When recording using computers computer noise from the hardware may be picked up by mics or on other leads. Samplers as a rule do not produce this noise and are screened to prevent its occurance, either by chokes or metal casing.
    A simple way of seeing what I mean is to get a recording device and bring it close to a standard PC. Carry out a recording and then do a playback away from the PC. You may well hear electronic chatter from the PC. This is the noise I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

that noise can be avoided by using balanced audio, the fan noise though can only be avoided by moving the hardware away from the recording area. one method is to create a 'machine room' and run the cables you need (VGA , USB etc) from the room into your control room.

fans off any audio hardware are a pain in the arse. I was recording a choir couple of weeks ago and had no choice but to setup in the same room as the choir. I could hear the fan noise (god bless my mics)... was driving me mad. They couldn't hear it ... typical :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭BadAcidStudios

sysconp1 wrote:
    Some people prefer to use them to prevent computer noise affecting the final sound.

:D

@shabbyroad
    A nices stereo pair of cardioids shouldn't pick up fan noise though, if they have decent off axis rejection. Or were you using spaced omni's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

It was more a case of me being too fussy. When I cranked the headphones I could hear it. Soon as I rolled off at 70Hz it was grand.
    Was amazed though to hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

my real pain is when my external hard drive does a big load of clicking when the orchestra i'm recording go really really quiet and it sounds like someone eating glass

Advertisement