Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incompatible or broken RAM?

Options
  • 05-04-2006 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

I have a dell 8300 and I recently purchased 2X1Gb sticks of samsung ram PC3200 DDR 400Mhz RAM CL3 online. I was aware that to upgrade ram on the dell the CL has to be 3 or it wont work and in the past I have sucessfully upgraded using crucial memory. However whenever I put any of these sticks (and i have tried one/two in all 4 DIMMs in one configuration or the other) any time i try to boot it up I get a harsh beeping noise from the computer. After removing the sticks and placing back the old memory everything works peachy. I am wondering if this is dodgy ram or did I just buy incompatible ram for my motherboard?

[edit] link to the ram I bought http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SAMSUNG-2GB-PC3200-DDR-400Mhz-RAM-2-GB-2X-1GB-DIMM_W0QQitemZ6867954456QQcategoryZ74942QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem [edit]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Did you try just using one stck at a time to eliminate a bad stck? Also does your Dell motherboard support 1Gb modules?

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Yes to both. 90% sure the 8300mobo will support 1g sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Yes to both. 90% sure the 8300mobo will support 1g sticks

why not 100% sure? :D

did you try the new memory in another pc???

Advertisement