Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flour?

• 05-04-2006 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

can anyone tell me what the difference is between plain or normal flour and strong flour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

basically the difference is plain flour has less protein (gluten) than strong flour

so you would use plain flour for the likes of cakes or biscuits and strong flour for breads as the higher gluten content enables a dough to hold its shape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's to do with the amount of gluten in the flour. The plain flour you by in the supermarket will generally contain a intermediate amount of gluten that works for most everyday baking/cooking. Strong flours are normally used in bread making etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭netvista

ya it was a bread recipe i was looking at. thanks for that. can u get it in the supermarket or somewhere else as i can't remember seening it there. if not is there a way of making plain flour into strong flour or am i talking through my hat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

you can get strong(bakers)flour in all supermarkets

Advertisement