Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV just died!!

• 05-04-2006 10:08pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, here's hoping the thread title is not accurate.

Mitsubishi Black Diamond 32" CRT about 6 years old, gets a lot of use, about 8 hours a day on average.

Went to turn on there now and no power to screen and this " click click click " sound.
    Tried plugging out and back in again, same response.

Any TV fixing gurus out there to guide me????
    Also, anybody recommend a reliable TV fixing person in the midlands to have a look at it?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,953 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Oh thats not Good!!! Sounds like the tripler sounds like its gone! Could also be the tube (I had a Beko 28 inch with the same clicking, isolated it to the tube). With prices of 32 inch CRT's falling fast, I don't think it would be worth getting fixed (I estimate 200 Euros plus).

Sorry

Snake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

i think,resistor, or capacitor, or fuse is gone,on power unit,or mainboard pcb,i had same problem, on black diamond tv,cost 45euro to fix, leave plugged out for 8hours , change fuse in,mains plug.still worth fixing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Modern TV sets don't use seperate triplers anymore. The ticking sound suggests that one of the supply rails of the power supply had been pulled down or that the line output stage is not running which will stop the psu from fully starting up. The ticking is the switched mode supply ramping up its frequency and then shutting down repeatedly.

Not (unqualified) user servicable. Bring to tv repair shop. Prices these days tend to be dictated by tube size rather than fault. So a 32 " will probably cost between 65 and 80 yoyos.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

look for tv repair ads in northside people,paper,they tend to be cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

i know exactly whats wrong with your tv.

its a black diamond...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

We had a nice Grundig TV once. It had a glass panel on the front, and the speakers could pull out slightly from the sides. It also had a VCR integrated into the bottom of the unit that could be removed and used as a seperate VCR. It had a seperate tuner and everything.

The TV once "cut-out" in the middle of a program. The screen went blank and then it would display this white flashes accompanied by a burst of white noise. It would "flash" 5 times and switch to standby. Turning it off and on just produced the same problem.

We contacted a TV repair man and he said that the "brightness transformer" had failed and he replaced it. It worked fine for a while then one day it just refused to switch on. That TV was more then 10 years old. We had another Sanyo that was about 15 years old and it is still working. And my cousins had another TV that died after a year, so they got a cool LCD TV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

tks for all the constructive replies - eoinf, insightful -, I have phoned around to a few repairers and the combined thoughts of those I got talking to is that it is worth repairing.
    €30 to have a look, and then I can decide whether its financially worth it to get repaired, hopefully around €75-€85 from what I've gathered so far over the phone, so will know more after I drop to Mr TV FixerUpper.
    Tempting to splash out on a new TV but I've already got a 44" so am going down the environmentally friendly route of repair before I recycle
    Will let you know how I get on, for future reference..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

We had the exact same problem with the exact same tv about a year ago. A guy in Clondalkin Village (GMTV I think) fixed it for us. I can't remember how much but I can find out if you like.

Lebowski, tks for reply, I'm in the midlands so am bringing to Mullingar, the smoke is too far, hopefully its a solder/sommit easy and it will be back in business in a week or so.
    Just gotta stay away from Aldi next Thursday, temptation, temptation

Well good news, found a Mr TV Fixer who fixed the TV, it was a burnt out transistor, €30 and back as it was, happy days
    If anyone in the Midlands has a TV issue I'd happily PM his contact details on request.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

Theres a place in portloise called J M Services that fix tv's, can't say if there good or cheap though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,953 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Glad to hear you got sorted, and sounds like your Mr Fixer is an honest man, which is hard to find in this day and age, as I know some places you could have brought it to would say something else was gone and charge you 100+ euros.

Snake ;)

Advertisement